Home Open Account Help 282 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Dueling DPs?

Date: 04/13/24 08:00
Dueling DPs?
Author: santafe199

Yesterday I had another 4-train day on my hometown KP. With this kind of hoodoo-voodoo a railfan like me could easily get spoiled. I might go to expecting 3-4 trains every time I venture forth onto the KP. Maybe I better just play it by ear...

Toward the end of my latest 4 train bonanza I found myself in west Topeka shooting another minor traffic jam. Gee whiz, run 3 mile long trains and get saddled with traffic jams. You’d think there’s some connection, no??? The 4th KP train I saw was being held (eastbound) at St Marys acct “congestion” up ahead. So I drove the 20” on into Topeka to investigate. There was a Marysville-bound westbound coal empty at Menoken waiting for two lumbering eastbounds coming down from the same. I never made it downtown to see what kind of traffic jamming was occurring around the old Rock Island GSR and its slow squeeze over the Kansas River. When one of the stalled eastbounds began to move again I positioned myself to shoot a pair of DPs side-by-side from the Menoken Rd crossing. I was anticipating some vibrant sunset color, but smoke from distant fires talked me out of such a notion. Farmers were burning off fields all around...

1. On the left is UP 6932 is the DP unit on a grain train apparently just put together here at the Cargill complex. Over on the right is UP 8424, the DP on an eastbound manifest.
Photo info: April 12, 2024 at Menoken in Topeka, KS.

Thanks for the tip!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 04/13/24 15:37
Re: Dueling DPs?
Author: texchief1

If you are going to do DPU shots this is for sure the way to do it!  Nice, Lance.

texchief1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/24 18:26 by texchief1.

Date: 04/14/24 09:35
Author: PHall

Said one DPU to the other, "Do you ever get accused of being pushy?"

Date: 04/14/24 10:47
Author: santafe199

PHall Wrote: > ... "Do you ever get accused of being pushy?"

(LMAO!) I herby give you the "You made me burble in my coffee" award for that one!

:^)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds