Home Open Account Help 175 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Raton, NM, picture

Date: 04/13/24 12:36
Raton, NM, picture
Author: Woodman

On train 3-4 I go through Raton and there is little exciting. In 1956, when I was 16, I took the El Cap on the way the way to Chicago and then on to Louisville, KY.  I know then, their was a lot of action, but I don't remember much.  Now the question is: does anyone have a picture or pictures of Raton when it was full of action, maybe a picture from above, active round house, etc. I would love to see it.  Thanks if you do.

Date: 04/13/24 14:53
Re: Raton, NM, picture
Author: ATSFSuperCap

Yes, and there were 5 or 6 branches operated out of there going southwest and primarily to the east.    Good places to operate older 2-8-2's which were assigned to Raton and even 2-8-0's.    The ex N&W Y3 2-8-8-2's were assigned to Raton also.   Most transcon passenger trains operated via the "north main" ie; Raton as well.   There are two tunnels at the top to, to keep things moving, the older smaller bore is closed up now.   It would make a GREAT model railroad you have all the elements to keep things interesting.

Date: 04/13/24 15:09
Author: Evan_Werkema

The Belen Cutoff took most of the freight off Raton over a century ago.  By the 1950's the pass was CTC-signaled and the old bore at the summit was closed, so there was just the one tunnel at the top of the pass.  The action at Raton in the 50's was largely passenger trains, most of which were powered up to the point that they didn't need helpers.  The January 28, 1951 New Mexico Division employee time table shows six passenger trains each way (California Limited, Fast Mail Express, Super Chief, El Capitan, Grand Canyon, Chief).  Freights were no longer listed in the ETT, but Santa Fe's New Mexico Division indicates that in 1954 there was just one pair of freights scheduled over the pass daily (No.31/46) plus a way freight from Raton to Las Vegas, NM once a week that was eliminated altogether in 1956.  Mineral traffic off area branches was drying up fast during the 50's as well.  The branches to the east were long gone, and the branches to the west were gone or going.  The Koehler District was idled between 1953 and 1958, and the Blossburg and Van Houten Districts were outright abandoned in 1955 and 1958, respectively. 

Steam made its last run through Raton in 1953, so the power hanging around the roundhouse in 1956 would have been one or two sets of zebra-striped Alco RSD-5's and RSD-7's for helper and local duties.  These photos are from the blue and yellow era in the 1960's, but the power is the same:

https://m.facebook.com/SantaFeRailway/photos/a.142682602607062/653003981574919/?type=3
https://www.american-rails.com/images/9809141724619502609172357926082087018.jpg
https://railpictures.net/photo/50099/

Date: 04/13/24 19:11
Author: Woodman

Thanks guys, I wonder if there are pictures taken from airplains? 

Date: 04/14/24 08:06
Author: tomstp

Great to see these pictures.  Thank you.

Date: 04/14/24 10:56
Author: koloradokid

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Belen Cutoff took most of the freight off
> Raton over a century ago.  By the 1950's the pass
> was CTC-signaled and the old bore at the summit
> was closed, so there was just the one tunnel at
> the top of the pass.  The action at Raton in the
> 50's was largely passenger trains, most of which
> were powered up to the point that they didn't need
> helpers.  

Back in my 8mm days, we got down to Trinidad and beyond for a day, and one westbound passenger (23??) (fast mail??) pulled into Trinidad and a pair of black and silver RSDs were coupled onto the rear and away they went up the pass.  Must have been mid to late morning/early afternoon and about 1964.  Quite the sight climbing the pass!

RR

Date: 04/14/24 11:00
Author: dan

wow!~!   some pics can be found with search, i  don't recall seeing the facilities myself as i think the Raton bypass-I25 was done in 72 when i went thru for the 1st time.   Now is area called wye park?

Date: 04/15/24 15:30
Author: millerdc

Looking at Google maps appears lots of yard tracks for no freight traffic.

Date: 04/22/24 21:51
Author: SD45X

Think Valmont posted shots of Alcos outside the roundhouse.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0358 seconds