Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A Little Luck on the Speedway

Date: 04/13/24 17:45
A Little Luck on the Speedway
Author: Vicksburg_Route

I went out for a little while this afternoon, and decided to ride across the Mississippi River to see what might be happening on the Meridian Speedway.  Much to my surprise, there was a westbound double stack, probably I169, sitting in the siding just west of the Mississippi River Bridge.  Seeing nothing approaching for a few miles distant as I crossed the tracks, I decided to move westward about 5 miles or so.  I crossed the tracks again and saw a headlight getting very close, so I quickly parked and captured an image of what I believe is M266 about to lean into a curve.  As is usually my luck, the DPU was a CLEAN CP SD70ACU, but at least it was facing the correct direction for a going away shot.  I headed back eastbound and captured one more image of M266 going away eastbound with I169 waiting to depart.

VR Out

Date: 04/13/24 18:06
Re: A Little Luck on the Speedway
Author: AndyBrown

Is that line a TWC operation?  The siding switch looks like a hand throw with no signals, but there is a block signal in the first photo.  Any info on the operation of that line would be appreciated.

Andy

Date: 04/13/24 18:18

The line has Centralized Traffic Control from Meridian, Mississippi to Shreveport, Louisiana.  The photo does not show the block signals at the end of the siding.  I noticed that the Dispatcher moved the switch position just as I was shooting so the westbound in the siding could depart.

VR Out

Date: 04/13/24 18:22
Author: texchief1

Nice shots, VR!

texchief1

Date: 04/13/24 18:45
Author: Gonut1

Nicely done. It's my understanding it is difficult to catch anything on the Meridian Speedway.
Go

Date: 04/13/24 18:57
Author: gonx

Very nice photos.

A big thumbs up.

-Lee

Date: 04/13/24 20:17
Author: SP8595

Nice pair!

Date: 04/14/24 06:15

Gonut1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nicely done. It's my understanding it is difficult
> to catch anything on the Meridian Speedway.
> Go

Absolutely.  With 10 or fewer trains daily, mostly running against the sun, getting more than 2 or 3 trains within 3 or 4 hours is an oddity.  It's a shame too.  It's the perfect bridge route for transcontinental, southern tier intermodal traffic.

VR Out

Date: 04/15/24 07:26
Author: pbouzide

Vicksburg_Route Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gonut1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Nicely done. It's my understanding it is
> difficult
> > to catch anything on the Meridian Speedway.
> > Go
>
> Absolutely.  With 10 or fewer trains daily,
> mostly running against the sun, getting more than
> 2 or 3 trains within 3 or 4 hours is an oddity. 
> It's a shame too.  It's the perfect bridge route
> for transcontinental, southern tier intermodal
> traffic.
>
> VR Out

Totally agree. And don't forget growing Mexico-Southeast traffic either.

CPKC and NS (plus UP and CSX) need to stop playing games with who gets what capacity there is for how much $$$ and fund the capacity improvements that let all four roads compete for taking some lots more I-20 corridor truck traffic instead of marginal gains at the expense of each other.

This corridor is simply much more direct than the Memphis or New Orleans gateways, without the time-consuming interchange at either, and a lot more resilient than New Orleans when the inevitable hurricanes come in from the Gulf between Houston and Mobile or Slidell.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0465 seconds