Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Almost Slept Through It

Date: 04/16/24 02:07
Almost Slept Through It
Author: funnelfan

Wallula, WA seemed to be the center of the action about mid-day Sunday. The UP MHKSK was stopped there to setout a large block of cars. UP's local and the BNSF Lowline jobs were working nearby. And per scanner traffic, I knew a Potash no-fitter was coming to meet the SK at Wallula and another northbound at Cold Springs. I heard the Potash call out the approach to Wallula and I quickly found my spot at Thrasher's Curve to await the train that was just around the bend in the river. The wait was proving to be a bit longer than anticipated. I found a shady spot on some nice green grass under a very large sagebrush plant. After spending some time sitting there I laid down on the somewhat inclined slope. It was about the most ideal day you could ask for, bright and sunny, the perfect temp with a gentle breeze. I got tired of looking at my phone after a while and put it down to just enjoy the day.....a bit too much.
The next thing I remember was waking up to the sound of singing rails and instantly realizing the train was already halfway to me from where I could first see it...if I had been awake at that time. I scrambled to my feet and turned the camera on while removing the lens cap. I composed a series of photos as the train progressed through the scene before me. I was lucky this time that I woke up in time to photographed the train, as it's definitely not the first time I've been woken up by the train I was waiting to photograph on a fine spring day...and probably not the last.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 04/16/24 05:21
Re: Almost Slept Through It
Author: cozephyr

Glad you caught a nap and the train-!  You're the man-!

Date: 04/16/24 07:56
Author: Ritzville

Nice looking power! A little power nap sure helps for the rest of the day, lol.

Larry

Date: 04/16/24 09:18
Author: bmarti7

Great shots Ted.

PCBill

Date: 04/16/24 15:45
Author: DKay

Very nice Ted. Those potashCorp hoppers are starting to show some weathering.
Regards,DK

Date: 04/16/24 18:00
Author: SCKP187

Great photos. I have a river shot similar to that at Wallula as well. I think it was a UP train symbol but had CP power?
Brian Stevens

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/16/24 19:06
Author: BoostedFridge

Great shots Ted!  You managed to have your cake and eat it too on this day.

DKay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice Ted. Those potashCorp hoppers are
> starting to show some weathering.
> Regards,DK

Potash is extremely corrosive, so its amazing to me that the hoppers paint protected the steel for even this long.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0481 seconds