Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Western Pacific GP35 #3002 Announcement!

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 04/16/24 09:26
Western Pacific GP35 #3002 Announcement!
Author: dklaRR

I'm happy to share that we have completed the restoration of Western Pacific GP35 #3002! We are waiting for an inspection from Union Pacific, then once complete, it will be heading to the Utah State Railroad Museum in Ogden for preservation.

This project has been over 13 years in the making.....ever since my brother and I visited the WP museum in Portloa for our first time, back in 2010. Since then we felt the WP needed to be preserved and represented on the eastern end of the former WP system, and have been watching for opportunities to accomplish this. Luckily, The Arkansas Midland Railroad was willing to donate this loco to the museum, when they retired it back in 2022. Since then, we have spent over 800 volunteer hours prepping it. Once we completed the prep work, UTA Frontrunner used it for Training and Familiarization in their newly completed Paint Booth.....talk about a win-win situation! 

These photos are all recent, provided by myself, my brother Kerry Klarr, as well as Schon Norris (all UTA employees, taken on UTA property). Please note that we have since installed the rear Class Lights and MU hoses, on the rear of the unit. Check out the post on Nostalgia & History to see a video of it operating, along with its M5 Horn!

Below is from Ogden Union Station's Facebook Page:

ANNOUNCEMENT:

We will soon be home to a new Western Pacific locomotive. This engine, the Western Pacific #3002, is the first piece of our railroading stock to represent Western Pacific’s history in Utah. Built in 1963, this is a four-axle GP35 diesel-electric locomotive and served Western Pacific for nearly 20 years before its freight service with several other railroads. It has just completed a major restoration collaboration by Ogden City, UTA, the Union Station Foundation, and many individual volunteers.

We’re excited to have this new piece of railroad history!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/24 09:57 by dklaRR.

Date: 04/16/24 09:28
Re: Western Pacific GP35 #3002 Announcement!
Author: rrartist

Absolutly beautiful!!!! Job well done!!!

Date: 04/16/24 09:29
Author: Jesse6669

Looks fantastic.  Thanks for your efforts!

Date: 04/16/24 09:51
Author: Atomicpunk

Beautiful restoration!  Congratulations!
Mike

Date: 04/16/24 09:57
Author: 3rdswitch

Excellent.
JB

Date: 04/16/24 10:02
Author: sixaxlecentury

Man that thing is sharp!

But for the love of all that is holy, do NOT leave that M5 on it if it is going on display! 

Date: 04/16/24 10:09
Author: billmeeker

Beautiful!  Have to get out and see it.

Date: 04/16/24 10:57
Author: zephyrus

Been sitting on this info for a while!  Congrads to Utah and Derrick and the team.  Early on in the restoration Derrick reached out to the Western Pacific Railroad Museum for paint and graphic information.  We were happy to be able to provide the paint specifications, a paint diagram and graphic files for the lettering and numberboards.  Also, the FRRS / WPRM donated the logos used on the cabsides.  And my company Driven Innovation also assisted with the graphics and the artwork for the cabside logos.

Looks amazing and is motivating us to looks for a few more locomotives to add to the Portola collection.......:-)

Z

Date: 04/16/24 11:09
Author: trainjunkie

Very cool, one of my favorite units. I'm partial to the M-K rebuild, new image version, which I recreated in O scale many years ago but nice job restoring it to aluminum/silver.

Date: 04/16/24 11:16
Author: dklaRR

zephyrus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Been sitting on this info for a while!  Congrads
> to Utah and Derrick and the team.  Early on in
> the restoration Derrick reached out to the Western
> Pacific Railroad Museum for paint and graphic
> information.  We were happy to be able to provide
> the paint specifications, a paint diagram and
> graphic files for the lettering and
> numberboards.  Also, the FRRS / WPRM donated the
> logos used on the cabsides.  And my company
> Driven Innovation also assisted with the graphics
> and the artwork for the cabside logos.
>
> Looks amazing and is motivating us to looks for a
> few more locomotives to add to the Portola
> collection.......:-)
>
> Z

I apologize, I should've included this info in my posting. Yes, a HUGE THANK YOU to the Western Pacific Railroad Museum, as this would have never turned out the way it did without their help!

Zephyrus, were you guys able to do any presentations on this project at the convention?

Date: 04/16/24 12:09
Author: jimB

Here it was in March of '79 leading the San Jose Turn at Ortega (Stockton) with celebrities.

Jim B

Date: 04/16/24 14:14
Author: DynamicBrake

Jim,
Nice shot of a fantastic looking lashup.  Ah, for the good old days.  Thanks for sharing.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 04/16/24 14:22
Author: lynnpowell

The last photo labeled as taken in Ortega was actually taken in French Camp, two miles to the south.

Date: 04/16/24 14:49
Author: TheNavigator

Looks fantastic! Well done.
GK

Date: 04/16/24 14:55
Author: funnelfan

Excellent work!. That locomotive looks SHARP!!!

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 04/16/24 15:32
Author: BigSkyBlue

Very well done restoration!  It will be an excellent addition to the collection at Ogden.  BSB

Date: 04/16/24 17:40
Author: CubsFanJohn

Very nice.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/16/24 17:41
Author: ChrisCampi

Congratulations team! Great job collaborating with UTA.  Looking forward to more details, especially it's mechanical condition.

Date: 04/16/24 18:13
Author: oyw

Immaculate!

Date: 04/16/24 19:27
Author: atsf121

That is fantastic news!  The engine looks amazing, can't wait to see it in person.

Nathan

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.062 seconds