Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Photography In the Snow At Palmer Lake

Date: 04/19/24 23:40
Photography In the Snow At Palmer Lake
Author: mojaveflyer

I visited Palmer Lake tonight for a dinner and photography show. Palmer Lake is the summit of the hill between Denver and Colorado Springs. I had the opportunity to photograph a couple of trains as I drove south. It was lightly raining that turned to snow flurries as i got to Palmer Lake.

Photo #1- I spotted a train as I drove south on I-25 and hoped to catch it just north of Larkspur. He eventually came around the corner and I grabbed a shot. I believe it was the H Denver - Amarillo manifest train.

Photo #2- When I got to Palmer Lake i saw a green signal for a northbound train. I'd heard a train go by the hotbox detector at the south end of Monument siding so I figured it was close. Eventually he came around the corner and took the northbound track towards Denver. BNSF 8775 was leading an empty coal train through town.

Photo #3- As the BNSF 8775 passed me I could see he was lined to the northbound track to Denver. The low green signal indicates a diverging route to the north track.

One more in Part II.

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 04/19/24 23:42
Photography In the Snow At Palmer Lake Part II

Photo #4- In the distance I could see the headlight of the BNSF 5803 waiting in the distance that started to move south after the coal empty passed me. At this point the snow flakes were getting bigger. It was time to head for an excellent dinner and an enjoyable slide show.

Thanks for looking!

James Nelson
Thornton, CO

Date: 04/20/24 03:49
Re: Photography In the Snow At Palmer Lake Part II
Author: texchief1

Very nice set, James!  Thanks!

texchief1

Date: 04/20/24 05:36
Author: KimHeusel

Real nice bunch of shots. Enjoyed them.

Kim Heusel

Date: 04/20/24 07:13
Author: ColoradoRailfan

Good stuff, Jim! Even though I'm in the same area, I still feel cold looking at the shots. :)

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/24 07:13 by ColoradoRailfan.

Date: 04/20/24 10:39
Author: 3rdswitch

Nice bunch at familiar spots. Nice having you join us.
JB

Date: 04/20/24 10:40
Author: koloradokid

In picture three, there is something near the near rail some 20-25 feet ahead of the engine.  Is that a stray cardboard box, or what????

Red over Green is a diverging clear and is the normal aspect northbound trains get at the Lake if they are going the normal route.

RR

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/24 13:07 by koloradokid.

Date: 04/20/24 11:50
Author: TheButcherofBena

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing James.  Haven't been to Palmer Lake in 20 years; wow, the pedestrian bridge, the houses...like most things guess it had to change.  In that shot of the northbound diverging, it appears there's some excavation going on in the background.  Any idea what that's about?  Was a great spot to watch trains; guess the good news is that at least trains are still rolling while the landscape changes.  

Date: 04/20/24 17:38

The object in the photo I believe is the top of a fence post close to me. Yes, the red over green aspect a is a dirverging clear.

koloradokid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In picture two, there is something near the near
> rail some 20-25 feet ahead of the engine.  Is
> that a stray cardboard box, or whaat????
>
> Red over Green is a diverging clear and is the
> normal aspect northbound trains get at the Lake if
> they are going the normal route.
>
> RR

James Nelson
Thornton, CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0473 seconds