Home Open Account Help 243 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Different Bike Ride Route

Date: 04/29/24 19:08
Different Bike Ride Route
Author: dwatry

Took a slightly different bike ride today than my usual route, and went through Emeryville CA and over the (relatively) new bike/ped bridge just south of the Amtrak station.  Saw 3 freight trains in 1/2 hour (and 2 passenger trains), but was only in a position to manage a decent shot of this one. 

1)  UP's westbound INPOA (Intermodal North Platte-Oakland) coming down the Desert Yard lead track behind AC45CCTE #8058, passing under the bike/ped bridge.  Train is coming off the Cal-P mainline from Roseville to Oakland through Martinez. 

Usually on my ride I catch the IOANP in Jack London Square, which is the eastbound counterpart of this train.  The IOANP almost always goes via Altamont Pass, however, and works the intermodal facility at Lathrop, which this INPOA did not do.  Not sure if the INPOA ever goes via Lathrop, but one day a week the INPOA is replaced by the ZG2OAB, which does usually go via Lathrop.  So go figure, as they say. 

BTW - for future referfence, the 3 freight trains I saw were:

1430 - WB UP manifest w 8174 leading
1443 - EB BNSF intermodal (coming out of Port of Oakland) - did not catch number on power
1455 - WB INPOA w 8058 leading

Several times I have seen 3 freights in Emeryville between 1400 and 1500, so maybe a good time to hang out!

Date: 04/29/24 19:50
Re: Different Bike Ride Route
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE!!

Larry

Date: 04/29/24 20:35
Author: pbouzide

I'll note the domestic containers on the head end of the INPOA. So Oakland isn't an international only intermodal ramp (yet). 

Date: 04/30/24 02:33
Author: bob01566

Awesome shot, Duncan!
Do you carry your DSLR with you on your rides or a smaller alternative?

Bob
nerrp.com

Date: 04/30/24 11:02
Author: dwatry

Bob - not usually. Believe it or not, that’s an iPhone shot!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/01/24 17:33
Author: atsf121

Nice place for a ride.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0434 seconds