Home Open Account Help 249 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Some more Craig and Hayden Shuttle pics.

Date: 05/01/24 10:04
Some more Craig and Hayden Shuttle pics.
Author: SP8595

The Craig Shuttle runs from the power plant at Craig to the Axial Mine and return on the 26 mile Axial Spur currently 5 days a week (Mon-Fri). It had been a night job for years so I'm trying my best to record as much of it as I can before it possibly goes back to a nocturnal run again or the power plant or mine closes, both which are slated to do in the near future!

1) At Milepost 12-1/2, the UP 5724 leads the 54 car train with the rear DP seen in the background. It is fun to imagine that had the Denver & Salt Lake not run out of money at Craig, they probably would have built their line along the Yampa River on this same route and that this might have been a mainline and possibly running with the Oil trains that are currently running over the Moffat!

2) The highlight of the run is the bridge over Milk Creek around Milepost 19. A very isolated location on an isolated stretch of track means that I don't think this bridge has had its picture taken too many times! Here the tracks leave the Yampa River and head South to the coal mine.

3) Cruddy light but with so many coal mines having shutdown in this area and with reclamation it is impossible to tell that one even existed, just shooting views of the loadout when I can. Here the train is fully loaded and is heading around the loop to return back to Craig.

----------------------------------Three More Pictures Posted Below--------------------------

Date: 05/01/24 10:05
Re: Some more Craig and Hayden Shuttle pics.
Author: SP8595

Next I traveled over to the Energy Mine to try my luck with the Hayden Shuttle and when I arrived, it had only 20 cars or so left to load. I then went for a walk out near Milepost 7 on the Energy Spur thinking I found a location where I could shoot both a coming and going away view of the returning Hayden Shuttle.Turned out I was looking at the wrong hill for the head end and by the time I climbed the correct hill for the going away shot, I wasn't really left with much for the approaching view and it wasn't exactly what I had envisioned. Also there are a bunch of high tension wires going through the scene but the going away shot was still pretty decent so I decided to stay.
1) Union Pacific 6148 drops downhill to follow Fish Creek leading the 115 car Hayden Shuttle that has just loaded at Energy and is heading down to Adams where it will change directions to head West to Colute and then on up the Hayden Lead to the power plant.
2) In this going away view of the rear DP's, a track can be seen in about the middle of the train.This is the Pit 3 siding and I believe there once was a coal loadout here called Energy 3.The Steamboat Ski Resort is on the mountain in the background with some ski runs barely visible in the remaining snow.
3) After the long walk back to the car, I drove over to Hayden and just had enough time to catch the train heading up to Hayden power plant. It will need all 3 engines on the headend and both rear DP's to lug the 115 car train through the curves and up the steep grade to the power plant.

Date: 05/01/24 10:06
Author: SCUfoamer

Really nice set of images. #2 is my favorite. Seems like some really unique alignments. 

Date: 05/01/24 10:07
Author: jgilmore

Great bunch, that second shot is terrific. Always helps to have a good leader too...

JG

Date: 05/01/24 10:13
Author: mojaveflyer

Great series John! It's good to see some activity on that line....

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 05/01/24 10:16
Author: callum_out

Great stuff!!~ This isn't like the SP branches having indefinite lives, we know this will all end and we have
dates. truly the "get'em now" shots! And as for John, the drive to work isn't long enough, let's add a 2 
hour hike!!

Out 

Date: 05/01/24 11:43
Author: philippe

Simply awesome!!!

Date: 05/01/24 12:56
Author: TheNavigator

Great images and documentation that will preserve the history of the line.
GK

Date: 05/01/24 16:10
Author: MacBeau

Impressive half-dozen images, very nice.
—Mac

Date: 05/01/24 19:39
Author: SCKP187

Great looking trains and documenting--I enjoy looking at all this on Google Maps after seeing your post.
Brian Stevens

Date: 05/01/24 20:17
Author: oyw

Looking real good, mighty fine assortment John!

Date: 05/01/24 21:53
Author: Keith_Kevet

oyw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looking real good, mighty fine assortment John!

Ditto!!

Keith_Kevet

Posted from Android

Date: 05/02/24 06:45
Author: RSD5

Strong work! Very thoughtfully composed too.

Dave

Date: 05/02/24 06:47
Author: santafe199

Good stuff. It's not easy to maintain such a high standard from behind a camera. But you seem to do it with ease!! Kudos... :^)

Lance

Date: 05/02/24 08:39
Author: SPgoletablock

Again! Way to go, love all those different angles.

Date: 05/02/24 10:27
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

Date: 05/02/24 11:39
Author: funnelfan

Fantastic photos. Got lucky with clean leaders too.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 05/02/24 11:44
Author: MILW86A

Excellent series! 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0526 seconds