Home Open Account Help 157 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Iowa Interstate Illinois Ops

Date: 05/06/24 16:46
Iowa Interstate Illinois Ops
Author: GP40

Before I start I want to thank those who answered my questions about the CPKC Chicago Subdivision for my planned chase of 2816 there later this week. My traveling buddy and I plan to chase the train to Davenport and then head back to Ohio Friday after an overnight there. 

Of course, we'll be along the IAIS the majority of the way along I-80 to Joliet. We won't have much time to chase, I don't think, but we were hoping to catch some action along the ex-Rock Island if we can, especially since, I suspect, IAIS May in the future be an acquisition target for one of the two eastern roads (I would think for a few reasons this could be CSX but who knows) since the acquisition of regionals seems to be a trend in the industry now.

I know there are two road freights - BICB west and CBBI east. What time do these run? Any other jobs you might run into? Locals?

And what if anything does CSX run on their owned line east of Ottawa? Radio frequencies?

As with before, any help is appreciated here. Thanks in advance!

Date: 05/07/24 05:18
Re: Iowa Interstate Illinois Ops
Author: thegottfather

It's been a few years, but the CBBI would pass through Joliet in the late evening right before sunset (6-8p) through Joliet, IL. Usually right after Metra slowed down from their rush.

Also, when the Blue Island railcam was still up (roughly 1-2 months ago), there were a number of interchange trains from Blue Island Yard to IHB and CSX throughout the daylight hours.  

Date: 05/07/24 09:47
Author: MEKoch

About three days per week is SIPE (Silvis - Peoria).  Operates sb one day, and returns the next day as PESI.  It can vary from 25 cars to over 100 cars.  There are also Bureau, IL locals servicing industries south, east & west of Bureau.  Also grain trains and coal trains operate as extras between Iowa and Peoria, usually to be interchanged with NS.  

Date: 05/07/24 15:20
Author: kevink

It’s been over a year since I have trekked out to Iowa City to visit my now-graduated college kid. I always seemed to be able to catch the CBBI and the BICB between Silvis and Rock Island between 8 and 11 am. Check the west end of the yard in the morning. If the BICB is already in the yellow, a decent early morning angle can be found at the east end ot the yard. Unless it has changed, CBBI sits at the east end of the Silvis Yard all day amd makes a mostly overnight trek to Blue Island.

Since you are planning to be in Ohio by the end of your day, Bureau Junction is probably too far off your route and there is no guarantee the local power will be there.

Ottawa, IL is a quick jump off I-80 and you will likely find CSXT and Illinois Railway power on the north and west side of downtown.

CSXT’s big manifest runs overnight to Chicago. There are locals that serve the various local industries between Ottawa and Joliet. US 6 and some local roads do a good job of following the railroad. CSXT keeps a local with a caboose, er, shoving platform at its yard in Rockton, IL.

If after all that, you find yourselves near Tinley Park in early evening, IAIS’s BICB gets out of Blue Island in daylight this time of the year.

Good luck and share any photos you score.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0356 seconds