Home Open Account Help 198 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > RRHMA Donation by NRHS

Date: 05/07/24 17:09
RRHMA Donation by NRHS
Author: cozephyr

The National Railway Historical Society (NRHS) Spring Conference donated money to the Railroading Heritage of Midwest America at Silvis Shop, Silvis, Illinois, 6 May 2024. Left to right; NRHS president Tony White, Steve Sandberg, Mike Yuhas, and Cate Krateville-Wrinn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/24 17:11 by cozephyr.

Date: 05/07/24 17:12
Re: RRHMA Donation by NRHS
Author: HotWater

Nice. How much was the donation?

Date: 05/07/24 17:14
Author: TexasRocket

Looks like it says $750

Date: 05/07/24 17:24
Author: pedrop

Why not 1,000.00 at least?🙄

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,
https://youtube.com/c/minasgeraisrailways1

Date: 05/07/24 18:48
Author: AndyBrown

Iowa Interstate ran a special train to haul the group to Silvis.  Shown here at West Liberty and Atalissa.

Andy

Date: 05/08/24 05:49
Author: rrpreservation

Very Cool!! Thanks for covering the topic.

Date: 05/08/24 08:05
Author: BAB

pedrop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why not 1,000.00 at least?🙄

Well just step right up and do that then or make up the difference.

Date: 05/08/24 10:27
Author: CO1309

Very kind of them to donate $750, making an enlarged check for that three figure amount is however a bit odd.  I don't think I've seen one under $1,000, oh well there's a first for everything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/24 10:28 by CO1309.

Date: 05/09/24 11:57
Author: webmaster

CO1309 Wrote:
> Very kind of them to donate $750, making an
> enlarged check for that three figure amount is
> however a bit odd.  I don't think I've seen one
> under $1,000, oh well there's a first for
> everything.

They probably spent $50 printing the novelty check on a large format printer, and Iowa Interstate probably spent another few thousand delivering the group by train to hand over the real and fake $750 check.  Rather strange event.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 05/09/24 12:04
Author: dan

probably had a print shop do it, $100?  some charities just have one they can erase and reuse, getting really worn out in the process

Date: 05/09/24 13:32
Author: AndyBrown

webmaster Wrote:

>  and Iowa Interstate
> probably spent another few thousand delivering the
> group by train to hand over the real and fake $750
> check.

I'm not well connected enough to know all the details, but I don't think the "reason" for the train trip was necessarily to deliver the check.  IAIS Chairman Henry Posner is probably an NRHS member himself, and IAIS gave members a shop tour at South Amana before departure.  IAIS has been incredibly generous in the past with fundraising and charity train rides so this is not at all out of character.  After the financially disastrous 2011 Train Festival in Rock Island, IAIS became a strictly "cash in advance" operator of fan trips, which applied to the NRHS Cedar Rapids convention trips the next year in June 2012, so I was a bit surprised to read here I think that Monday's trip may have been a charity event (if true).  But whatever the details, I strongly suspect the $750 donation was more of a sideshow than the main event.  And I would love to hear more from anyone who was there.

Andy

Date: 05/10/24 07:26
Author: CedarRapids

The NRHS conferences are normally two days in length, with one day set aside for meetings and the other for exploration or an excursion of a local rail attraction.  This year's spring conference came together in a very short amount of time after an initial plan fell through.  The Iowa Interstate was most gracious and kind in giving those in attendance a tour of their world headquarters, a tour of the Dennis H. Miller Locomotive Shops in South Amana, an inpsection trip from South Amana to Silvis and the piece de resistance, a tour of the Railroading Heritage of Midwest America shops in Silvis.  

Henry Posner III stated that the railway does not operate tourist trains but supports charities and non-profits.  As such, a $10,000 cheque made out to Operation Lifesaver was presented by the NRHS earlier in the day which represented the proceeds from the sale of tickets for the event.  

The $750 cheque which was presented to the Railroading Heritage of Midwest America represents three staybolts for the restoration of Union Pacific 3985.

The day's tours and train ride were fantastic and everyone had a most enjoyable and unique experience.

Elizabeth

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0792 seconds