Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > The Bridges of Washoe County (Donner Pass)

Date: 06/08/24 15:22
The Bridges of Washoe County (Donner Pass)
Author: broken_link

The rail line on the east slope of Donner Pass begins crisscrossing the Truckee River in the Truckee River Canyon east of Truckee. The first two crossings are on the California side of the California-Nevada border, while the remaining crossings are in Washoe County. (Either fully or where it borders Storey County along the Truckee River east of Sparks.)

Pictured here on Sunday, May 26, 2024, is the first set of bridges carrying the line over the river on the Nevada side of the state line. I was expecting a near meet with Amtrak and the BNSF trackage rights train, but I was surprised by the westbound ZG2OAB heading up the pass before the Amtrak. I didn't have the video camera set up when it rolled by, so I only have some stills of it and no video. My hopes for a potential meet were dashed as Amtrak came and went with no sign of the BNSF train. I suspect the eastbound BNSF might have stopped for a crew change somewhere around Truckee or Boca. (For those in the know, do these BNSF trackage rights trains use crews that run all the way from Stockton, or do they change crews in Roseville? TIA!)

Cheers,
Sean

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/08/24 21:17
Re: The Bridges of Washoe County (Donner Pass)
Author: ble692

broken_link Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (For those in the know, do these BNSF trackage rights trains use crews that run all
> the way from Stockton, or do they change crews in Roseville? TIA!)

BNSF crews operate them from Stockton to Roseville where a UP crew then takes over for the run to Sparks.

Date: 06/09/24 19:27
Author: atsf121

I always liked those bridges along the Truckee, such a pretty train ride (or drive on I-80).  Nice photos and video.  I especially liked the transition from Amtrak to BNSF, well done.  Had to loop back as I was wondering for a second if you had both trains in the same shot.

Nathan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/24 19:31 by atsf121.

Date: 06/10/24 09:35
Author: broken_link

Thanks. I was hoping to grab them in one shot, but the BNSF train arrived later than I expected at around 12 minutes after the Amtrak rolled west.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0681 seconds