Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Empty Yard in El Segundo CA

Date: 06/18/24 11:35
Empty Yard in El Segundo CA
Author: erielackawanna

Not even close to a "follow the rules railfan photo," this unique perspective of the Rail Link Chevron switch arriving at the BNSF yard is one I'm not sure I'll ever see again. BNSF had taken the Chevron pulls but not left any cars, so the yard was completely empty when Rail Link arrived with more pulls that evening. 99% of this time, this view is of at least one, and maybe two or three tracks full of tank cars, so you can't see the Chevron job at all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/24 11:51 by erielackawanna.

Date: 06/18/24 16:11
Re: Empty Yard in El Segundo CA
Author: 3rdswitch

Good job catching the Chevron job at all. What happened to the evironmentally friendly unit?
JB

Date: 06/18/24 17:01
Author: erielackawanna

Rail Link (which is a subsidiary of Geneese & Wyoming) won the switching contract away from Savage. There is a genset on the property (a G&W one) as well as an SW1500, but I've only seen them use the GP38-2.

Date: 06/18/24 19:00
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

Amazing to see an empty transfer yard. All the years working in and out of ES never saw the Santa Fe tracks void of cars. Interesting fact as an ex SP employee had the switching jobs at Chevron. The SP contracted the switch jobs and the UP writes a check to Chevron every month to keep the UP out of the plant. Its cheaper in the long run. The UP doesn't have to provide the crews and a locomotive.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/18/24 19:25
Author: usmc1401

The pull tonight to the UP was at about 18:15. Fist time in over ten years that I saw a train come out of Chevron.

Date: 06/19/24 08:32
Author: 3rdswitch

Working the 711 job for more than a year, I only saw a job once.
JB

Date: 06/19/24 13:33
Author: callum_out

I don't know if it's amazing or not. If it was many years ago I'dd say it was because the refinery pretty much shut down
in June ofr yearly maintenance. We had a crew of 4 to 6 there for a month, always seemed strange that they''d shut down
in what would seem to be a busy month but they said it was to prepare for the travel season! I kinda thought it was just
because it was the time that a bulk of the workforce wanted to take vacation!

Out 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0398 seconds