Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Yolo/Sierra, Cal Northern questions

Date: 09/12/03 12:04
Yolo/Sierra, Cal Northern questions
Author: mderrick

Looks like I may have a Monday to spend in the general area of San Jose. I'm interested in paying a visit to the Sierra and/or the Yolo, as well as the CFNR. I've got the link for the excellent CFNR page on Trainweb, but know little of the Sierra or Yolo, other than the great shots I've seen on this board of them hauling logs.

Would it be feasible to visit the Sierra/Yolo in the morning and get the CFNR in action elsewhere in the afternoon, or visa verse? I am interested in catching these roads in action, and would like to get the CFNR GP15's at work.

Any insights and suggestions that can be provided on railfanning these roads would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Derrick
http://www.shortlinesusa.com

Date: 09/12/03 12:46
Re: Yolo/Sierra, Cal Northern questions
Author: traindancer169

The Sierra Northern has a crew that usually goes on duty a McClellan at around 08:00. Around mid-day, they dead-head to West Sacramento to work interchange and serve the west sac customers. The Woodland crew goes on duty around 15:00. They usually take care of the Woodland customers and head to West Sac. Once at West Sac, they typically deliver interchange, service additional West Sac customers including any work at Clarksburg, pick up their Woodland train and head back.

On the Oakdale division, the crews go on duty in the morning at Riverbank. They run turns to Chinese and Sonora two or three times a week.

Date: 09/12/03 12:57
Author: samreeves

On the Cal Northern side, the Woodland Turn goes to work early (6:00am-7:00am), runs to the interchange at Davis, then runs back to Woodland about mid-morning for a short coffee break. Then they run up to Cortena (arriving about 1:00pm to 2:00pm), making plenty of stops along the way, then head back to Woodland. Their geeps always look sharp, but definitely go when it is cooler. There is almost no shade in the Sacramento Valley to protect you from the heat.

Date: 09/12/03 15:09
Author: twiztidrailfan

the best place to catch the gp15s is in woodland ca. right next to the yolo short line
nick

Date: 09/12/03 16:12

The Yolo Shortline no longer exists. It called the Sierra Northern.

Date: 09/12/03 18:54
Re: Yolo/Sierra, Cal Northern questions, Re: Traindance
Author: lynnpowell

Traindancer169, are you sure that the Oakdale Div. crews go on duty at Riverbank? As long as I've chased the Sierra, they have never operated west of Oakdale, as that trackage is owned by BNSF with UP trackage rights. Are there new operating arrangements that have been implemented?

Date: 09/15/03 09:57

A crew will start at Riverbank, and then dead-head to back to Oakdale. They do not have trackage rights at this time. Sometimes a Chinese/Sonora crew will go on duty at Oakdale, and a alternate crew will take care of Riverbank.

Date: 09/23/03 18:21
Author: Freddie

What work is there at Clarksburg?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0743 seconds