Home Open Account Help 204 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF in Cajon <<PANORAMA>>

Date: 09/21/03 18:34
BNSF in Cajon <<PANORAMA>>
Author: MrMRL

Hello everyone,

I spent Sunday afternoon perched on top of "no-mans knob" along the mainlines up to Cajon Summit in CA. It gives me a great view of the whole canyon because i'm sitting almost 600 feet above the tracks! This was quite a hike today because the temp. outside was a mild 92°. The following pix are of a 132 car BNSF train heading down to San Bernadino. the last three are taken trackside because the train stopped. (just a little backup into Bernadino!) Sorry for that darn bush in pic no. 4. Also check out the CN unit in pic no. 6. Enjoy!

Robby F. (Mr. MRL)

Date: 09/21/03 18:51
Re: BNSF in Cajon <<PANORAMA>>
Author: heracles87

How does one access this location? I would love to get that view next time I'm out there.

Date: 09/21/03 19:25

Refer to picture no. 3 In the very back you see Interstate 15, then Route 66, and a small road that cuts off of 66. You can drive on that road all the way up to Wrightwood. There is a creek that you cross ,this is an ideal place to park and watch trains. Now if you really want to get to where I was, climb up the ridge that you would see on the far side of the tracks. *WARNING-Take hiking boots* This isn't a walk in the park. You will be scraping your way up 600 feet of loose rock and dead plants. There also may be a snake or two. The only good side is, VISTA POINT!!. If I haven't scared you yet, go for it! I enjoyed it.

Robby F. (Mr. MRL)

Date: 09/21/03 20:32
Author: ten87

MrMRL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>*WARNING-Take
> hiking boots* This isn't a walk in the park. You
> will be scraping your way up 600 feet of loose
> rock and dead plants. There also may be a snake
> or two. The only good side is, VISTA POINT!!. If
> I haven't scared you yet, go for it! I enjoyed
> it.
>
> Robby F. (Mr. MRL)

I'll be lacing up my boots soon! Great photos, very inspiring for this Cajon modeler!

Ed

Date: 09/21/03 21:20
Author: funnelfan

Robby, did you come running back down the hill to catch the train????? Was that your white sedan in one of the pics too???

Ted Curphey
funnelfan@icehouse.net

Date: 09/21/03 22:30

Hello,

The BNSF train was stopped for well over half an hour. I was able make my way down a ridge toward the south and ended up at the bottom right in front of the locomotives. My car was actually parked further down that little road where the single track UP line crosses and where the pavement ends. (Green Honda CRV).

Robby F. (Mr. MRL)

Date: 09/22/03 05:19
Author: wt259

Great pics. And a warbonnet on the point!!!! Doesn't get much better than that.

Date: 09/22/03 16:12
Author: cookdb3

Well done, Robby that you did great job to take these photographs of trains from high hill, as I never seen any of these photos, you took them. I have been to Cajon area many many times in few years ago.

Well done Robby!!!

Regards,

Barry Cook
Sydney NSW Australia.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.036 seconds