Home Open Account Help 231 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Wind River Route,WY

Date: 09/30/03 18:22
Wind River Route,WY
Author: Jefflocal

I've been interested in this area as possible vacation
stop next summer. I know there isn't a lot of traffic on
this line but would like some info from folks familiar
with the area to decide if it might be worthwhile.

Thanks for any info

Geoff B.

Date: 09/30/03 20:32
Re: Wind River Route,WY
Author: cascadebruce

The line is quite scenic, esp. through the canyon between Thermopolis and Shoshoni. At the end of the day, be sure to relax in the hot springs in Thermopolis.

Date: 09/30/03 21:02
Author: AaronJ

cascadebruce Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The line is quite scenic, esp. through the canyon
> between Thermopolis and Shoshoni. At the end of
> the day, be sure to relax in the hot springs in
> Thermopolis.

Scenic yes, busy no. Not much travels this line anymore.

AaronJ

Date: 10/01/03 06:34
Author: bobdavis

As far as I know there's only one pair of Laurel-Denver manifest trains still using this line, plus occasional extra movements. If this is true, it's too bad since the line is incredibly scenic. If you're around Greybull you might see a train sitting there waiting for a crew, but the last time I was up that way trains tended to sit there for hours.

Bob

Date: 10/01/03 07:27
Author: kwo

As Bob said, trains can sit for hours. In August, we saw a Denver-Laurel leave the coal line at Bridger Junction in Orin, WYO on Tuesday about 8 at night. We saw the same train arrive at Laurel yard the next evening around 7. Not exactly record setting time on that one.
A BNSF dispatcher told a friend that some radio gear has been removed from this line (repeater towers I think?) and that things aren't looking up. He also said MRL officials hi-railed the line in July. Dare we hope?

Date: 10/01/03 07:33
Author: scrawshaw

FYI: There's an organization in Cody working to get passenger service reinstated on this line.

Date: 10/01/03 08:37
Author: toledopatch

scrawshaw Wrote:
> FYI: There's an organization in Cody working to
> get passenger service reinstated on this line.

To serve whom? Cows?

I spent three days there in August 1999. During the entire three days, only three trains ran through the canyon in daylight, and only one of them was "with the light." And that was at a time when there were at least two pairs of scheduled trains running the line, plus grain extras. It's a beautiful piece of track, to be sure, and if you get a train running on it, you'll never regret the trip -- but brace yourself for disappointment.

Date: 10/01/03 09:27
Author: contrarian

I agree with toledopatch's conclusions. If you score, you'll be glad you did.

There are a couple of locations between the south end of the canyon and Bonneville that are worth trying for. Also an awesome vantage point up by Lovell. Get on the east side of the tracks, and work your way about five miles south of the main highway that goes east from Lovell, and you'll find a phenomenal view. At least I thought it was. Similar thing just north of Greybull, if you can get back in there. I haven't made it to that one yet, so don't know for sure how to. But it's there, I think. For what it's worth, keep in mind that almost all of the 'good shots' will be of southbounds, but there are a couple of exceptions, especially right in the Wind River Canyon.

As for what the hell the MRL would do with this line, good question. BNSF would have to sell it to them all the way to Denver, if not Fort Worth, for it to do them much of any good, which seems kind of unlikely. But who knows?

Good luck.

toledopatch Wrote:
>
> I spent three days there in August 1999. During
> the entire three days, only three trains ran
> through the canyon in daylight, and only one of
> them was "with the light." And that was at a time
> when there were at least two pairs of scheduled
> trains running the line, plus grain extras. It's a
> beautiful piece of track, to be sure, and if you
> get a train running on it, you'll never regret the
> trip -- but brace yourself for disappointment.
>

Date: 10/01/03 09:55
Author: Jefflocal

Thanks for the info guys, glad to hear I could get a northbound
in good light in the canyon as I was wondering about that. Now I
just hope I won't be too late as things don't sound too rosy. Maybe
with some luck MRL will find a use for it. It would be a shame to
see more railroad deleted.
Thanks
Geoff B.

Date: 10/01/03 13:04
Author: jlosal

In three years I made it there twice.The first time in 2000,I sat for over six hours (until the sun moved west and shadowed the tracks).The next time I got near Thermoplis and heard a SB.Chased him the length of the canyon and shot a roll of film.I got lucky that day because I doubt if I will ever be going that way again.That year I also bagged the "Trough-Train" and the UP challenger.(at other places,of course)

Date: 10/01/03 19:24
Author: AaronJ

contrarian Wrote:
> As for what the hell the MRL would do with this
> line, good question. BNSF would have to sell it to
> them all the way to Denver, if not Fort Worth, for
> it to do them much of any good, which seems kind
> of unlikely. But who knows?
>
> Good luck.
>
> toledopatch Wrote:
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----

Actually all they have to do is sell it to near Orin Junction and the MRL would have access to the UP, which would provide a shorter routing for UP/CP to send interchange traffic at Eastpoint ID into the plains. However, I'll believe it when I see it.

AaronJ

Date: 10/01/03 20:53
Author: blackvy

If you have the time you can wait at Bonneville on the Casper side, catch a west/north bound headed for Laurel, and follow it all the way Laurel, because the track is visible from the road almost all the way. (You could also go to Laurel and wait for an east/south bound and do the same thing) In most places the road is more direct and there are lots of 35 mph train zones where you can run ahead, get a couple shots and then run ahead again. Yes you might have quite a wait but this is a fun route to chase a train. Besides, beautiful Bonneville in the high Wyoming desert is a place you won't soon forget.
There are some spectacular spots along the route-and they are worth waiting for some traffic. The canyon is a great place but there are others delightful places along the route as well. chasing/following a train here is a great way to spend a day.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0655 seconds