Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Mixed Trains on the Big Trees

Date: 10/18/03 17:41
Mixed Trains on the Big Trees
Author: shed47

With the Santa Cruz, Big Trees and Pacific having only one freight customer, San Lorenzo Lumber in Felton, they often move the carloads(loaded inbound, empty outbound) on their regularly scheduled passenger trains for obvious economy reasons. Today's 10:30 departure out of Felton for the Santa Cruz Boardwalk was made up of CF7 #2641, an empty centerbeam flat, a combine, two open air coaches and a standard coach. First three shots show train moving between the Felton shop area and the Roaring Camp depot to load passengers with fourth shot showing train easing down Chestnut St. less than a mile from the Boardwalk.

Upon arriving Santa Cruz train took the north leg of the wye(toward Davenport) and then shoved entire consist onto the Boardwalk. Left the passenger cars there and returned to the wye with just the centerbeam(final photo) where it was spotted on the remains of a spur near Chestnut and Laurel Streets for pickup by UP's Santa Cruz Local. Only passenger operations after next weekend will be a series of holiday season runs in December after which passenger operations are shut down until Memorial Day 2004.

What are the FRA regulations regarding number of freight cars that can be used on a revenue passenger train using older, vintage passenger equipment with standard couplers(non-tightlock)? Any other comparable mixed train operations on a common carrier in the U.S. or Canada(I believe some mixed trains survive in Mexico)?

Date: 10/18/03 17:48
Re: Mixed Trains on the Big Trees
Author: puckeringswine

I would think that the maximum authorized speed would be a factor, can't be very high on the Big Trees if they are not required to have ditch lights.

Date: 10/18/03 17:58
Author: brianbergtold

I've seen it run with 4 freight cars cut into the passenger equipment. Doesn't fully answer your question, but it certainly isn't limited to one car.

Date: 10/18/03 18:23
Author: cota1992

I've got a friend that used to be part of the crew on this train. I will forward this to him-he's out of town today but it will be interesting to see what he has to say...
Art

Date: 10/18/03 18:32
Author: stash

Thanks for the photos. I misread something and had thought the Boardwalk runs were done for the season. I guess I still have a chance to take a ride. Back in SP days I walked the line from Felton to Santa Cruz (not thru the Santa Cruz tunnel though).

There's at least one wig wag along Chestnut St. I noticed recently.

Date: 10/18/03 20:34
Author: wigwagfan

shed47 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any other comparable mixed train operations on a
> common carrier in the U.S. or Canada(I believe
> some mixed trains survive in Mexico)?

The Mount Hood Railway is very similar - I believe only one or two active freight shippers (a sawmill and a propane distributor), and with two or three daily passenger trains a day, it makes more sense to haul the few freight cars on the pax runs.

The MH uses equipment slightly newer than the Santa Cruz operation (1930s era Harriman cars) and a pair of GP-9s (one a low nose ex-SP unit). It's located in Hood River, Oregon - about 65 miles east of downtown Portland, and operates a former Union Pacific branchline (which UP purchased in the early 1950s, IIRC, from the original Mt. Hood Railroad.)

Date: 10/18/03 20:44
Author: potb101

Dan,

Mt. Hood RR also has a GP38 that they bought from NRE last year. Rode behind it earlier this year, was my first trip on the line. Very nice.

Jody

Date: 10/18/03 21:43
Author: brianbergtold

This year they actually ran "Rainforest Trains" which ran late winter/early spring. Don't know if they were listed on the website, but were advertised locally. As the name suggests, they sometimes ran during inclement weather....which can be pretty interesting down the San Lorenzo River Canyon!

Date: 10/18/03 22:13
Author: CuestaGrader

Hey Bob that is some nice shooting! How often does the big trees railroad run? Talk to you later.

Cuesta Grader.

Date: 10/18/03 23:09
Author: GEOANGEL

Great photos! The street running is especially cool.

George,
Fontana,Cal.

Date: 10/19/03 10:09
Author: bnsf-pnw

wigwagfan Wrote:
> shed47 Wrote:
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Any other comparable mixed train operations
> on a
> > common carrier in the U.S. or Canada(I
> believe
> > some mixed trains survive in Mexico)?
>
> The Mount Hood Railway is very similar - I
> believe only one or two active freight shippers (a
> sawmill and a propane distributor), and with two
> or three daily passenger trains a day, it makes
> more sense to haul the few freight cars on the pax
> runs.

I rode behind this railroad this past month. We actually did some switching along the way. We set out and switched an orchard with ARMN reefer cars. I noticed also a propane customer and various sawmills.

Date: 10/19/03 18:02
Author: Amtkrd4man

puckeringswine Wrote:
can't be very high on the Big
> Trees if they are not required to have ditch
> lights.

You can run out on the mainline even without ditchlites, just have to go over public crossing at 20mph.

Date: 10/19/03 20:01
Author: Geep

Yes, mixed trains still in some parts of Mexico, tipically one or 2 cars behind the freight cars, service on these trains isn't regular, but the only exception is the Chihuahua Pacifico.

Hector M. González Vidales

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0515 seconds