Home Open Account Help 205 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Ski Train: what to do in Winter Park if you don't ski..

Date: 01/04/04 21:01
Ski Train: what to do in Winter Park if you don't ski..
Author: Agent_0013

Yo, Trainstahs,

I got a nice Xmas gift of tix for the whole family for the ski train in a couple of weeks. It has been many years since I've ridden. In the good old days, you could stay on the train for the extra ride down to Tabernash while they wyed the train. Now they boot you off at WP, I hear.

Of course, even in the old days, it was pretty boring to hang around WP if you didn't ski. I have no idea what there is to do these days that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. (Research into a tubing hill, for example, was $12-14 per person per hour--which seems a bit steep for something I'm used to doing for next to nothing.)

Any advice from experienced riders would be appreciated.

The Agent

Date: 01/04/04 21:49
Re: Ski Train: what to do in Winter Park if you don't s
Author: NDHolmes

Kevin and Wes are around here - I'm sure they can fill you in on the latest bit. However, in the last few years I don't think I've ever not gone down with the train to wye. It's probably just a matter of talking to the right people, or otherwise the flexibility in policy has changed since last season. I don't happen to ski, either, so...

Nathan

Date: 01/05/04 06:38
Author: WAF

You can hang around the lodge and watch the trains go by or catch a bus into town. Snowcat tours to the top of the mountain. Much to do for yourself or with family.

Date: 01/06/04 07:36
Author: ColoradoRailfan

I would personally recommend the Snow Cat Tour of the mountain. It takes a about two hours if I remember correctly, and you are presented with some really excellent photo opportunities (albeit not of train necessarily).

Staying on the train is officially not allowed, although there can be exceptions depending on the size of your group. If there is only one or two of you, and depending on who you ask, you might be allowed to stay on the train all the way to Tabernash while the train is wyed. If you do stay on, however, don't plan on getting off at all during the day. You *may* be allowed off in Fraser, but it would be wise to pack a sack lunch just in case!

Kevin
The Front Range
http://www.drgw.ws/

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0359 seconds