rest of the story.

Anyone with any more information on Chuck Johnson, the person, and the
dedication of the spur in his name?

As for the story of the traffic jam in SLO, the WCPD was there at 7:30,
fired up on the yard track. A large RVXX train came off the hill with
helpers, stopped to change crews, 1/2 the crew was not there, the first
1/2 of the crew pulled the train down towards Orcutt Rd. to try to let
775 unload passengers who now had arrived on the NB main. The end of
the RVXX train made it about 1/2 clear of the platform, fine for 775.
Helpers get put away, 775 follows, all is well. Wrong, 11 is still
behind the RVXX train with a warrant to go on the same track. Detector
at Chorro states 68 axles, most of the UP and amtk crews waiting are
laughing cause 11 will not fit behind RVXX to clear so the WCXX can
leave. DS puts 11 in right behind the freight, a good 8-10 feet
separate the two. The Bella Vista was on the rear and was sitting
directly on the frog of the N. Switch SLO. No one was going anywhere
for a while.

Why no movement from the RVXX train, Rezenberger was called to pick up
the late crew to take him down to Orcutt. This was the big time hit.
After all the crew shows up, they pull out of town, 11 pulls up to
water the cars, and highballs SLO at
9:58. I would guess a good 1 hour hit to 11, while the #2 main saw no
action. Funny night, John might post some of his pictures. Good
night.

Kevin in SLO

First picture is of UP 3970 WB on Yard Track 1 in SLO.

pictures my me, John!

Date: 01/05/04 00:04
Re: SLO Traffic Jam
Author: SLOtrainbum

This is private car Bella Vista at the end of a very, very...very late SB Coast Starlight #11.

Date: 01/05/04 07:37
Author: EL-SD45

Greeting from the East. Where is SLO??

Date: 01/05/04 07:57
Spur-SLO
Author: spnudge

Chuck worked for NAPA in SLO in 69. He hired out as a brakeman and then went to work as a fireman in the early 70s. He fired for me on the helpers. I don't remember when he was promoted but it was in the 70s. I also had him as a fireman to Wat Jct and LA and to SBA on ATK. Later on I met him out on the pike when he was set up. He was a good hoghead and a very nice person. He died way before his time. A ticker problem he didn't know he had but the UPs no lay off policy didn't help.

Nudge

Date: 01/05/04 08:04
Author: SurflinerHogger

It is San Luis Obispo, California, a long time stronghold of Southern Pacific and at one time one of the busiest division points in the SP system and the west in general. Basically, the half-way point between Los Angeles and San Francisco via the coast line. The irony I find in the posts about "SLO" is that as late as the mid 90's, there were serious questions about the fate of the entire line, and for many years, the train activity at San Luis was.........boring to say the least. Having been introduced to the place in the late forties, and having watched the 24 hour a day hustle and bustle of it turn to almost a dormant railroad, it's kind of neat to see activity slowly increasing, even though it is Union Pacific.

Date: 01/05/04 08:29
Author: sdrake

EL-SD45 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Greeting from the East. Where is SLO??

San Luis Obispo. Up the coast from LA. SLO is not right on the coast but only a few miles inland. The Amtrak Coasters run from San Diego to San Luis Obispo.

Date: 01/05/04 10:51
Author: roberthedgecock

I know this has been asked before but the rumor has come up again of the UP selling the coast line With the low volume of trains and high maintainence Why keep it Tehachapi can easily absorb the few coast trains

Date: 01/05/04 14:29
Author: lps11

it is not the coasters that run san diego to slo,,it is the pacific surfliners,,,,,duh

Date: 01/05/04 17:00
Author: Christo26

If I may finish off your story just a bit :) The train in question pulled into the depot because they were almost dead on their hours of service. If they had held out of town by Cal Poly like they are supposed to do it would have hosed #11 bad waiting for a carry all to take the crew up there. The outboud crew was onduty at 8pm not 7:15 like the train dispatcher had told them because there was a question of them making it over the hill with the slow orders etc. Now, that being said they pulled up thinking that the crew was already onduty. Low and behold, they weren't foring the engineer to take the train to Orchid Rd. Why they didn't have the crew onduty when they were supposed to is your guess<g> As for them not running the train down the #2 that is another mystery! Well guess that goes to show you what happens from time to time.

Oh, the spur which was named for Chuck Johnson was dedicated on Dec 30th. I think the sign went up on the 1st after everyone who wanted to signed it. Mr. Johnson passed away on Jan 20th of last year. Great guy, but like the other post said, he was just working too much which I'm sure didn't help his heart any. I hope this helps some! See ya down the line!
Mr. C.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.057 seconds