Home Open Account Help 206 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Slug?

Date: 01/17/04 16:52
Slug?
Author: BearCat

Caught this at the Vancouver (WA) Wye. Is it a remote control slug with cab? First one I has seen with Cab...is it used any differently?

Date: 01/17/04 17:08
Re: Slug?
Author: FECSD40-2

It is a TEBC6 six motor, cab equipped yard slug, rebuilt from an SD9, mated to an SD38P rebuilt from an SD35, or an ex Frisco SD38-2. From what I can see from the photo, which is excellent by the way, the unit is not remote equipped.

Date: 01/18/04 09:08
Author: sdrake

BearCat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Caught this at the Vancouver (WA) Wye. Is it a remote control slug with cab? First one I has seen
> with Cab...is it used any differently?

I believe that I read somewhere that the cab is on the slug as it is more pleasant to run the set from the slug as there is less noise and much less vibration on the slug.

Date: 01/18/04 16:07

The TEBC6 has air conditioning, but the mother SD38 does not. Another reason to use the slug's cab and not the mother. I have never understood why the mother units never recieved air conditioning. The air conditioner is the big box in the middle of the cab roof. It is yellow colored in the picture, probably came from a former ATSF loco.

Date: 01/18/04 16:36
Author: alco636

The slug is a former SD9. The powered locomotive for it is a former SD35. It was rebuilt to SD38-2 standards. I think...

Date: 01/18/04 16:45

Yes.

Date: 01/18/04 18:47
Author: BearCat

Thank you all for the clarification, an unusual unit for me to see for sure. I used your comments to re-edit the Railimages text, hope you do not mind.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0335 seconds