Home Open Account Help 164 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Update on BNSF Nebraska derailment and fire with odd p

Date: 01/19/04 14:52
Update on BNSF Nebraska derailment and fire with odd p
Author: pepperidge

For those interested, here's a story on the BNSF derailment and house fire from Firehouse Forum:

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?sectionId=46&id=24743

Note the picture in the top right-hand corner of a Metrolink commuter car on its side. The train was supposedly carrying coal, so I have no idea why it shows this pic other unless the Metrolink cars were being ferried somewhere in the consist.

Date: 01/19/04 15:02
Re: Update on BNSF Nebraska derailment and fire with o
Author: LesWhite

yes most peculiar to see a Metrolink train out 'there'...maybe the San Bernadino service had an extension.......

i think that is some slip up in the office re that picture or just someone who wanted a dramatic picture to illustrate the page?

Date: 01/19/04 15:06
Author: bnsfpix

I didnt know Metrolink serviced Omaha????? Wouldnt that be a heck of a commute.

Matthew

Date: 01/19/04 15:10
Author: Anonymous User

Since I was there I can tell you that it was just coal cars. 123 cars and 41 derailed.
3 power turnouts destroyed. BNSF has switch tender on duty watching trains pass thru
area. Trains started slowy running at 6 pm saterday nite.
Gary

Date: 01/19/04 15:50
Author: Andover

I believe this is the incident where the odd pic was obtained.

http://html.nbc4.tv/sh/slideshow/_auto/sh8258s2.html

Date: 01/19/04 16:00

This sure says a lot of accuracy in media. If they can't get it straight about trains, how much else do they screw up or just plain fabricate?

Date: 01/19/04 16:20
Author: trainlady

The Metrolink car looks like the derailment/train verses auto, that occured in Burbank about a year or so ago at Buena Vista.

Date: 01/19/04 16:29
Author: updrumcorps

pepperidge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This sure says a lot of accuracy in media. If
> they can't get it straight about trains, how much
> else do they screw up or just plain fabricate?

This really isn't the "Media" in the strictest sense - it seems to be some sort of firefighter's website. However, they got the coverage from KPTM, the fox affiliate in Omaha, which explains it. They were probably just too cheap or lazy to get a real picture, so they pulled something from stock.

Date: 01/19/04 19:44
Author: Goofey

why is BNSF having so many problems lately with derailments?? You're constantly hearing about incidents all over the BNSF network...my brother in law works for BNSF here in Fort Worth and he's always telling me of a derailment or an employee being killed on the job, etc..

last week we had a coal train derail north of Fort Worth between Decatur and Rhome and now this in Nebraska...

Date: 01/19/04 21:24
Author: councilman

As long as the stock goes up and the quarterly dividend is
paid, a derailment or two or a death or two is the price of doin' business. That's what insurance is for...

Date: 01/20/04 08:42

I was referring to the TV station, not the Firehouse website.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0421 seconds