Home Open Account Help 235 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > The Zephyr Visitation Ritual

Date: 01/31/04 10:32
The Zephyr Visitation Ritual
Author: GrandeGold

My father and I witness this same event literally hundreds of times. It was family ritual to be "down by the depot" to witness the arrival of good old train #17, the westbound Rio Grande Zephyr.

The drama was always there, waiting for the F9 #5771's gyralite off in the distance as the Zephyr curved around the final curve at Provo Yard just east of the depot. A few passengers would line up on the concrete platform in front of the large brick depot. A Rio Grande carman would always be there to load company business and baggage in the combine car. The conductor took care of business on the ground, waving his lantern to the head end when it was time to "highball Provo."

This night photo was taken during "daylight savings time," on April 26, 1976 to be exact. There was at least a hint of daylight for the Zephyr's 8:25 p.m. on-time arrival. Oh, to witness those old F9's today...screeching to a stop at Provo only to blast off in "notch eight" moments later! Salt Lake City, the end of the line was but 40 miles and 60 minutes away.

James Belmont

Date: 01/31/04 10:44
Re: The Zephyr Visitation Ritual
Author: sdrake

A really special picture. At least I was able to ride it once from Denver to Salt Lake City in late summer 1982 while it was still the Rio Grande Zepher.

Date: 01/31/04 10:52
Author: photobob

Beautiful.............

Date: 01/31/04 11:12
Author: espeeboy

I second this motion James!

photobob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beautiful.............

Date: 01/31/04 11:42
Author: RebStout

That is one gorgeous photo! Thanks for sharing...

Date: 01/31/04 18:33
Author: emil_karpo

Lovely image.
Oh for what we have lost.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0357 seconds