Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > ATSF 2nd District?

Date: 01/31/04 15:15
ATSF 2nd District?
Author: milepostone

I am looking for some info on the old Santa Fe 2nd district or Pasadena Sub that ran from San Bernardino to LA via Pasadena.

When was the last time a freight train ran thru to Los Angeles?
When was the line actually removed at Arcadia?
When did Metrolink come into the picture and what did they purchase?
I am also interested in when and where there were "no whistle" ordinances in place?

thanks in advance
jr

Date: 01/31/04 15:53
Re: ATSF 2nd District?
Author: jst3751

There has been quite a bit of information posted here on Trainorders about this. Try searching the archives.

Date: 01/31/04 19:17
Author: PasadenaSub

JR,

Here are a few brief answers.

milepostone Wrote:

> When was the last time a freight train ran thru to
> Los Angeles?

Almost 10 years ago to this date! Last through freight was on January 30, 1994.

> When was the line actually removed at Arcadia?

I believe it was by the end of 1995.

> When did Metrolink come into the picture and what
> did they purchase?

Metrolink began operating their San Bernardino Line trains on the Pasadena Sub between San Bernardino and CP Cambridge in Claremont in October, 1992. They use the former SP Baldwin Park Branch and State Street Line rights of way to get from Claremont to LA Union Station. At first, the trains only went as far east as Pomona, but quickly started running all the way from San Bernardino.

> I am also interested in when and where there were
> "no whistle" ordinances in place?

I'm not sure if there were any 'no whistle' ordinances on the line or not, although Duarte (near the City of Hope Hospital) seems to ring a bell.

Here's a few recent threads posted by TO member ATSF100West about the last days of through service on the line:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,667967,667967#667967

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,666450,666450#666450

Hope this helps,

Rich

Date: 01/31/04 21:13
quiet zone
Author: coachyard

milepostone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> when and where there were "no whistle"
> ordinances in place?

AT&SF had trackside signs in South Pasadena where train horns were considered a public nuisance, ordinance no.1713, ยง 2 (part), 1976. Some friction is still there with the Gold Line.

http://www.ymp.net/mind/stages/onstage/allahfamily/00000121.htm

Date: 01/31/04 22:47
Author: MyfordBrowning

Just the standard reminder that Metrolink does not own the track, it is an operating agency and the various county transportation agencies actually purchased and now own the lines from the railroads.

Date: 02/01/04 02:04
Author: Kruzn40

The whistle could be used only in emergency in Duarte, South Pasadena, and Highland Park; although the folks in South Pasadena didn't kick about the 3751 much.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0454 seconds