Home Open Account Help 242 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Warbonnets at Abo Canyon's East End

Date: 02/07/04 08:26
Warbonnets at Abo Canyon's East End
Author: GrandeGold

BNSF's mainline through scenic Abo Canyon in New Mexico has always been a single track bottleneck on the former Santa Fe Railway's Transcon main.

At the east end of Abo Canyon, the mainline quickly ducks under Highway #60 just west of Scholle siding. In this photo, BNSF 4716 East is about to duck under the highway bridge. The priority intermodal met a westbound with a Santa Fe GP60M on the point, tucked away in the siding at Scholle.

James Belmont

Date: 02/07/04 11:16
Re: Warbonnets at Abo Canyon's East End
Author: El4Short

Wow, Jim, really loved your shot! Nice to see a trio of warbonnets still looking good in '04 ... unless that's an older pic. Either way, nice to get a quick warbonnet fix.

El

Date: 02/07/04 15:45
Author: jim55

Wow, nice catch! If that was from the bridge, did the high speed cars and trucks on NM 60 make you pay for that shot? Jim55

Date: 02/07/04 16:14
Author: GrandeGold

Hey Jim,

That was a "grab shot" from the bridge. The gentleman I was railfanning with was driving the rental car, and he just stopped the car on top of the bridge and let me bail out.

I'm pretty thankful we got there just in the nick of time.

Too bad the driver didn't get the shot, right Dave?

James

Date: 02/07/04 17:47
Author: rivulet

I resent being called a gentleman.
dg

Date: 02/07/04 18:46
Author: FECSD40-2

Greatest scheme and image EVER!!!

Date: 02/08/04 10:48
Author: MacBeau

Nice shot, but did you get lunch at that great restored hotel in Mountainair? After ten years the name of the place escapes me, but not the great look and feel of the place.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0301 seconds