Home Open Account Help 189 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Abo Canyon

Date: 04/30/04 23:02
Abo Canyon
Author: TunnelMotors

Will the BNSF eventually double track Abo Canyon or if they run out of capacity somehow will they use Raton Pass again? Thank you four your information. Jonathan

Date: 05/01/04 04:15
Re: Abo Canyon
Author: OHRY

Rumor is that they are planning to have it two main track by 2005. However, as of yet I have yet to see any activity. It's one of those things like the Carlsbad Sub being sold. That rumor was flying like crazy about three months ago. Still hasn't happened.....
Chris S.

Date: 05/01/04 07:14
Author: grande473

Raton Pass is to BNSF as Tennesee Pass is to UP. The only difference is Raton still have some trains on it. It appears that the two managements are thinking along the same lines.
Raton Pass has one thing that Tennessee Pass doesn't have ~ another pass. Glorieta Pass has to be figured into the equation. That provides a double whammy for eastbounds.
When I was in Raton in the 1970s the Santa Fe used combinations six SD39s-U23C in a Remote Controlled Engine setup to lift 5,600 tons. That is light by mainline standards. Granted, today there are bigger locomotives and DPU operation but you would still have to figure one hour and 10 minutes for the 14 miles from Trinidad to the top of the pass and 20 minutes to go the seven miles downhill into Raton. A train on the southern transcon would make close to 100 miles (sometimes more) in that time with fewer locomotives. With a 75-mph Interstate speed limit the railroads can't afford to be slow.
Former AT&SF President John Reid called the Raton Pass line the company's ``ace in the hole'' and it is still the quickest way from Denver to Los Angeles on that system.
To make a short story long there might be room for a few trains but not many.

Date: 05/01/04 11:17
Author: slugbug

I would bet the house on Abo being double-tracked. Not only that, but I'd imagine that ifBNSF is going to spend the $$$ on a second main track, they'd go ahead and spend a little more to completely realign the railroad with two new main tracks, abandoning the current alignment.

So, better get your shots, for I'd guess it'd only be another couple of years before the dirt starts flying.

As for Raton, the Tennesee Pass analogy is a pretty good one. With York Canyon closed, I can't see any reason for BNSF to continue to maintain the line to the level it does. Amtrak could easily shift onto the Transcon, and they've done several test runs already.

Date: 05/01/04 18:28
Author: SOO6617

Of course BNSF doesn't really want Amtrak to shift to the Southern Transcon since it would suck up more capacity from a very tight line.

Date: 05/02/04 05:39
Author: grande473

Raton Pass is a good place to put trains to get them out of the way. This way they can bypass Abo Canyon entirely. That's why most of the transcontinental passenger trains went the northern route.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0583 seconds