Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Fullerton Railroad Days

Date: 05/01/04 15:30
Fullerton Railroad Days
Author: RebStout

Today and tomorrow are the very popular "Fullerton Railroad Days" (California). I go every year, and the event continues to grow. I arrived at 11 am, and the Fullerton Santa Fe RR station was packed. Dozens and dozens of RR related booths, vendors, layouts in every scale. It's a great family event. This year they brought in old passenger cars, a caboose, a sharp E-8 and a Dash-8. In the 3 hours I hung out at least 8-9 trains rolled through. They hand-washed the BNSF 879 Dash8-40CW, then pulled it forward next to the parking lot so everybody could tour the cab. Lots of fun to be had!

Date: 05/01/04 15:33
Re: Fullerton Railroad Days

E-8 #97 was also on display. Nobody seemed to have any info on it, other than it was privately owned.

Date: 05/01/04 15:34

E-8 front view.

Date: 05/01/04 15:35

E-8 detail.

Date: 05/01/04 15:54
Author: David.Curlee

All of the passenger cars are regularly stored at the depot. Only the E8-A and the Dash-9 were brought in specifically for this event.

Date: 05/01/04 16:28
Author: myoungwisc

Looks like an ex-BN unit?

-Martin from the OC

Date: 05/01/04 16:28
Author: trainlady

Hey Reb,
We just got back from Fullerton.... what do you look like, maybe I saw you and did not know it was you....
Audra

Date: 05/01/04 16:41

Hi David...
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. Any idea where the E8-A came in from?

Date: 05/01/04 16:46

Hi Audra...
I don't look like anybody else, that's for sure. 6', 225#, long pure white goatee and hair, arms covered with colorful tattoos, wearing a sleeveless Royal Gorge locomotive T-shirt and engineers cap. Sure was a great crowd in Fullerton today!

Date: 05/01/04 18:42
How about Art's Chili Dogs?
Author: brassjournal

OK, the train stuff is pretty neat. But now for the important question: was Art's Chili Dogs there? They weren't on the preliminary vendor list and I'm wondering if they are there.

If Art's is there, my wife will go with me.

Date: 05/01/04 19:03
Re: How about Art's Chili Dogs?

Hey Brass Journal...
Man, I think you're outta luck. I didn't see Art's Chili Dogs anywhere. Maybe your wife will go along for the beef jerky, sno-cones and cotton candy?

Date: 05/01/04 19:39
Ah, well, thanks anyway, Reb
Author: brassjournal

My wife will be sorry to hear that, Reb, but I appreciate the information nonetheless.

Thanks for the quick response, too.

I guess I'll just have to go on my own and try to be happy with the train stuff.

Sorry I missed meeting you today but I'll keep looking now that I know your description. And the snow cones are on me!

Date: 05/01/04 19:46
Author: roberthedgecock

RebStout Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi David...
> Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. Any idea
> where the E8-A came in from?

Reb I think this might be an ex Milwaukee unit if so it would actually be an E9 If its an ex BN unit it should have the louvers on the rear that where installed when MK rebuilt them for Chicago commuter service

Date: 05/01/04 20:39
Author: px320

The E8 is owned by Monad Ry Equipment. It is an Ex-C&NW unit that was once owned by Pacific Rail in Colton.

We used it in the movie Torque and again in Mona Lisa Smile.
http://www.stangarner.com/scene.html

Date: 05/01/04 20:56

Thanks for the info. Great Stan Garner shots on the Torque site. Sounds like the movie would be worth locating.

Date: 05/01/04 21:17
Author: sd75mac

Shot Friday nite

Harold
http://www.phcomputing.com

Date: 05/01/04 21:38

Hi SD75Mac...
Thanks for the shot of the "97". I had a look at your website...nicely done. Also the "Jamie" page. I know the feeling.

Date: 05/01/04 22:15
Author: TunnelMotors

That domecar in the dome was hotter then Death Valley to my friend and I.But the C44-8W was a suprise because the other times I been there it was always a C44-9W. Thank you for your time. Jonathan

Date: 05/01/04 22:23
Author: px320

Indeed the dome of the Silver Splendor was warm - 133 deg F per John C - owner of the car. Just keep in mind he has more than 3 years into getting the car where it is and expects to spend at least 2 more before he has an Amtrak approved car. The work that's been done really can't be seen unless you are a car owner and know what to look for. The work done so far is superb. I look forward to seeing it in service.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0489 seconds