U.P. lifts limits on shipments to West Coast
Author: rivet-counter

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u_pg=46&u_sid=1085684

Published Tuesday
May 4, 2004

U.P. lifts limits on shipments to West Coast

BY STACIE HAMEL
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Protests by independent truckers over fuel prices in California had died down enough Monday that Union Pacific Railroad stopped limiting shipments to intermodal terminals there.

A week ago, truckers began protesting high fuel prices in California - at least partly a result of the state's clean-air requirements - and the fees they are paid by the trucking companies they work for as subcontractors.

They picketed outside terminals in Lathrop and Oakland in northern California. In the Los Angeles area, drivers parked rigs on freeways to disrupt traffic and refused to pick up loads at five of the railroad's terminals there.

"I heard there were some protesters still out there in northern California but not enough to interfere with our traffic," said U.P. spokesman John Bromley.

He said no figures were available on the effect of the week's protests.

"Particularly in Lathrop, where it was a whole week of slowdowns, it certainly would delay shipments in northern California," Bromley said.

The seven terminals together normally handle about 6,700 intermodal containers a day. The containers are designed to transfer among rail, ship and truck.

Date: 05/04/04 14:28
Re: U.P. lifts limits on shipments to West Coast
Author: UPRRPR

I mistakenly gave the reporter incorrect info on the embargoes. we did cancel the S. Calif. embargo as truckers returned to work Saturday. The Northern California embargoes remain in place. We have protestors at Oakland and Lathrop and are opeating on a "permit" basis for limited customers. There has been some violence today, ie rock and brick throwing. I recommend staying away.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0401 seconds