Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Tehachapi Train Count Question

Date: 05/23/04 13:39
Tehachapi Train Count Question
Author: Wildebeest

Does anybody who is reading this have a good figure for the apporoximate number of trains over Tehachapi daily? I'm working on a P.R. write-up for the La Mesa Club's Tehachapi exhibit at the San Diego Muddle Railroad Museum, and would like to include that figure. I'm sure it's at least 20, less than 40. Can anyone come up with a better guess than that?

D

Date: 05/23/04 13:59
Re: Tehachapi Train Count Question
Author: tehloop

Yesterday I saw 25 between 8AM and 5PM, 40 or more in a 24 hour period

Date: 05/23/04 15:06
Author: MrMRL

I've seen an average of 25 or so from sun up to sun down. The lowest I've ever seen was 14, & the highest 29 (also from sun up to sun down).

Robby F. (Mr. MRL)

Date: 05/23/04 15:39
Author: md

I spent 23 hrs along the line in early April and saw around 40, last year I spent 24hrs twice and saw around 42 - 46. BTW, not too many were UP.

Date: 05/23/04 19:10
Author: CarolVoss

md Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I spent 23 hrs along the line in early April and
> saw around 40, last year I spent 24hrs twice and
> saw around 42 - 46. BTW, not too many were UP.

Whatever the numerical count, about 2/3 of them are BNSF. Has been that way for several years now. We were in Bakersfield this past weekend and the BNSF yard was chock full of trains being sent up to the Loop---not parked----and the UP yard, which has been basically abandoned, is only a crew change point. A skeleton of its old days. Sad.
C.

Date: 05/24/04 09:52
Author: ffrailey

In 1Q of 2004, 40 trains per day operated between Mojave and Bakersfield, on average. Approximate breakdown: 25-28 BNSF and 12-15 UP, per day.

Fred

Date: 05/24/04 10:29
Author: Wildebeest

Thanks for all your answers. regarding Carol's comments: sploopconductor tells me that these days, UP seems to stand for "Usually Parked."

DFW

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0404 seconds