Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Hotels near UP mainline tracks

Date: 05/30/04 07:30
Hotels near UP mainline tracks
Author: tubaman

I am traveling from Chicago to Laramie, WY this summer along the UP mainline mostly along Hwy 30. I am looking for hotels that are close enought so that I can just walk a few steps and hang out by the tracks. I also would not mind hotels (or Bed and Breakfast joints) with rooms that look out onto the tracks as well. Do any of you have suggestions where hotels like this can fit the bill? I am talking about basically every place west of Clinton, IA along old Highway 30 and into the Sherman Hill area of Wyoming. I am new to trainorders so if there is a previous thread that would answer these questions or a publication, I would like to hear about it. Some hotels (like the Best Western in Tehachapi, CA) advertise a "Train Room" but it is actually not that close to the action. Your recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks. Gene Pokorny

Date: 05/30/04 08:42
Re: Hotels near UP mainline tracks
Author: tolland

You'll probably want to stay in Cheyenne. The Days Inn looks out onto the rail tracks, has a nice spa area, and the BNSF crews stay there also. It's on West Lincolnway, just adjacent to the UP main line and the south facing rooms all give a view of the tracks. There are also several other motels nearby and several places to eat, Village Inn, Outback Steak house, and a truck stop.

Date: 05/30/04 09:37
Author: CyRail

A decent view of the tracks can be had from the Days Inn in Missouri Valley, IA. However, you can only see about half of the traffic on the E-W because its on the Blair Subdivision, with the other half using the Omaha Sub. Ask for a room on the north side of the building, preferably on the second level. Its not a great view, but its worth mentioning.

CyRail

Date: 05/30/04 12:28
Author: 3rdswitch

Just make sure you are not near a crossing as UP is the MOST HORN BLOWING RR I HAVE EVER VISITED! Officials will NEVER fail a UP crew on proper horn procedure at a crossing!
JB

Date: 05/30/04 14:36
Re: Hotels; Sutherland, Nebraska
Author: BarrySr

The Park Motel in Sutherland, Nebraska is the greatest spot along the racetrack west of North Platte!

3rdswitch' comment about horn blowing needs to be heeded here, as the connector to I80 comes into US30 right smack in front of the motel. The best rooms for viewing are rooms 9 and up. If you want to be shielded a bit from the roaring westbounds (most drag freights will be throttled up and screaming for the crossing, accelerating from the crossovers at O'Fallons; which is a sorting out point before opening up for the fast run west to Cheyenne), then ask for rooms 1-8. At night, hope you are a heavy sleeper.

Sutherland is ~15 miles west of Birdwood (west end of North Platte). Mainline is four tracks to O'Fallons, and activity is virtually non-stop, with wide open photo possibilities abounding. From Birdwood to O'Fallons, the highway does not parallel right next to the mainline, but is less than 1/5 mile north of the tracks the entire distance.

From North Platte west, you encounter Hershey (watch your speed!), then O'Fallons, where the North Platte sub to the PRB heads off to the notheast. The highway now crosses over the NP sub, then angles toward the mainline, meeting it at the old switch of Varner, which is just west of the Sutherland "city limits". Watch your speed here, too!

Can't remember the name of the restaurant (help me out here, cdub) in Paxton, which is 7 miles east of Sutherland, but it is a great meal and watering hole, a popular night spot around those parts.

If you're looking for Hilton type accommodations, forget it. If you want a bed and breakfast, forget it, too. But you can't beat the place for the ambiance. Rates are ~$30-35 for two, if I recall. Might have gone up in the last coupla' years, but I'd be surprised if they were a lot higher. Let me know how it turns out if you stay!

Enjoy!

BarrySr
Kingwood, Texas

Date: 05/31/04 10:34

Thanks for the info. I have spent time at that Days Inn in Cheyenne. It is a good place. I am looking for other places like that on the route, including Sherman Hill. Again, thanks for the info. Gene Pokorny

Date: 05/31/04 10:39

Thanks for the warning about the horn-blowing, but being that I make my living at doing just that, I probably won't even notice the noise. However, in your defense, you have fore-warned me. I'll let you know if I get any shut-eye near a grade crossing. Cheers, Gene Pokorny

Date: 05/31/04 19:28
Re: Hotels; Sutherland, Nebraska
Author: BarrySr

BarrySr Wrote:

> Can't remember the name of the restaurant (help me
> out here, cdub) in Paxton, which is 7 miles east
> of Sutherland, but it is a great meal and watering
> hole, a popular night spot around those parts.

Just remembered! Ole's Steakhouse. If ordering the prime rib (recommended), be sure to ask for a doggie bag, you'll need it!

BarrySr

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0549 seconds