Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > SP Lives On With Ballast Train Action

Date: 06/04/04 21:46
SP Lives On With Ballast Train Action
Author: espeeboy

Thanks to drew1946 and mr.rostershots.com yesterday for the headsup on this train making a bay area work train visit. Perhaps they will post some of their photos. I was stuck all day at work and heard it go on duty this morning honking past my office location and then returning on the way to go off duty at just before 5PM after the day's dumping was done. Nice torture on a Friday workday.

Seen this early evening is the SP8664 in semi-sickly but unpatched form at the lead of the WOAOAB 04 ballast train. It had just returned to the East Oakland yard after a day of dumping rock on the Niles Sub close to my work in and around Elmhurst JCT. There have been a number of new switches installed around there as well as the continued work on the Niles Sub with new signaling and the Oakland Coliseum/Airport station project - all part of the upgrade for both Amtrak California and UP. Perhaps this means that some spare $$$ has been set aside to get this upgrade project rolling again.

There is still a lot of ballast in those green UP MOW hoppers so expect this train out and about tomorrow and probably next week. Even though that unit has one UP numberboard, the ESPEE LIVES!

-Ryan aka "espeeboy"
on the ex-WP Oakland Sub MP11.2

Date: 06/04/04 21:48
Re: SP Lives On With Ballast Train Action

The flared and beat-up SP8664 rests on point of a ballast train as BART passes in the background with many Friday evening commuters looking forward to their weekend plans.

Date: 06/04/04 23:11
Author: Rostershots

Here's the SP 8664 before her return trip on the MSJRV. Tony

Date: 06/04/04 23:14
Author: RyanWilkerson

Here's another shot of her taken 2 months ago while she waited to get into Roseville.
-Ryan Wilkerson
http://www.shastarails.com

Date: 06/05/04 09:38
Author: drew1946

Was on my way home from Martell when I spotted this train at Hearst.

Date: 06/05/04 09:40

Approaching Centerville Station

Date: 06/05/04 09:46

Just south of Thornton Ave. in Newark.

Date: 06/05/04 10:47
Author: Yarddogh

Have any shots of'em dumpin' ballast ??

Date: 06/05/04 11:21

Yarddogh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have any shots of'em dumpin' ballast ??

naw, those shots would be too cool to post! As you can see, we all like the traditional front unit shots. Thanks for posting y'all!

Date: 06/05/04 14:57
Author: Hpfaal

Just a note to add that what appears to be the same set of ballast cars came through Chatsworth last Saturday, 5/29. Being lazier that I should be I tried to take a shot from inside my car and thus missed a chance to get a nice picture of an unpatched tunnel motor on the lead, but here it is anyway, or at least most of it...Rohn

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0609 seconds