Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Help Finding RR Book Please

Date: 06/21/04 07:35
Help Finding RR Book Please
Author: WichitaJct

I was in a used bookstore in Mpls about a month ago or so. Saw a RR book there I wasn't sure I wanted so I didn't buy it. I have tried to look it up on Amazon.com but can't find it. The title was an engine # like "5354." The most unusual thing about the book was its format. It was long and narrow, sort of printed in a landscape format, instead of the usual square format that RR picture books are printed in. Anyone familiar with this book ? Thanks.

Date: 06/21/04 08:37
Re: Help Finding RR Book Please
Author: haneckow

Check out this list from the UPHS website: http://www.uphs.org/libloco.htm
Nothing jumps right out at me, but perhaps there is a chance that the locomoitive number was prominant on the cover but not part of the title. The format you describe sounds like the book about the Union Pacific type by Kratville and others which is on the list.

Date: 06/21/04 08:49
Author: MTMEngineer

I remember years ago seeing a children's book in the Minneapolis Public Library, in a landscape format, "Diesel 4030", with sketches and a description of the operation of a NYC passenger train powered by a E or F units.

Date: 06/21/04 08:57
Author: haneckow

I really should have had more coffee before I posted. For some reason I thought you mentioned it was a Union Pacific book, but on re-reading I guess not.

Date: 06/21/04 09:04
Author: cdub

Hey Wichita,

Have you tried the Trainman's Trading Post in Omaha, down by 45th and Leavenworth? That place is very disorganized and is kinda of like a junk shop with model trains, magazines, books and other railroadiana scattered and piled throughout that store. But, if you really take your time and look around, you might be able to find a diamond in the rough. I was there this past Saturday looking for one thing in mind. But instead I ended up finding a copy of a rare book stuck in a dark corner that I've been looking for the last few months, but had no luck finding it anywhere on Ebay or other internet sellers. The book was still in it's plastic wrapping and I only payed for the original price, probably about 2 to 3 times less than what I would have to pay for it on Ebay or at a train show.

Date: 06/21/04 09:31
Author: billywa

Wichita
Drop me a line off list. More of a photo collection with the title appearing as an engine number, correct? I think I know the book you're looking for and last time I was there, it was available at one my local book stores.

billywa

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.038 seconds