Home Open Account Help 178 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP track via Pheonix

Date: 06/21/04 09:01
UP track via Pheonix
Author: jst3751

With all the capacity problems on the Sunset route, does any one know if UP has taken a look at reestablishing the line from Pheonix west, so as to create a 2nd main of sorts using directional running?

Have EB use the existing line, and have WB use the Pheonix line.

As for Amtrak 1 & 2, they would follow along. #2 would use the Maricopa station, #1 would use the Pheonix station.

My idea would be Pheonix station is where all passengers would go to. Passengers for #2 would go to Pheonix (unless they really wanted to go directly to Maricop) and at the appropriate time a dedicated bus would leave Pheonix for Maricopa, meet #2, and return with any passengers off of #2.

Date: 06/21/04 09:05
Re: UP track via Pheonix
Author: WAF

Longer via Phoenix.. cheaper to double track the Gila Line. Phoenix line is worn out.. rails, ties and signal system.

Date: 06/21/04 10:56
Author: parts545

I agree, it would take too long to run via Phoenix and it would be much cheaper and safer to doubletrack the main line.
(too bad UP didnt start Doubletracking the day after the merger)
(Also too bad Downtown Phoenix isnt 30 miles further south)

Date: 06/21/04 13:06
Author: MyfordBrowning

Sounds like the UP still has problems on the Sunset route from the post below. I seems that the Phoenix line could be fixed up faster than a second main can be built. A few secondary trains via Phoenix could open up some sidings on the Gila Sub for hot trains. The need for two crews via Phoenix doesn't seem to be a big issue with all the crews dying on the mainline with their train in a siding.
Besides, the Phoenix line would give the UP more track to park trains if they really would rather not run trains.

Date: 06/21/04 16:04
Author: mundo

The phoenix business from the west, would not have to go to Tucson first, then back track, saving some movements on the South Line.

Date: 06/22/04 15:31
Author: nickatnight

MyfordBrowning Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like the UP still has problems on the
> Sunset route from the post below. I seems that the
> Phoenix line could be fixed up faster than a
> second main can be built. A few secondary trains
> via Phoenix could open up some sidings on the Gila
> Sub for hot trains.

As I understand it, the major hassle of building a 2nd mainline is the need to somehow run trains -- and at the same time accomodate the track building/laying equipment, much of which runs on rail.

So....the chance to go "build" a 2nd mainline without such interruption would seem to be a golden opportunity. Make it directional-running, and there is no longer a need to add (many) sidings. Heck, could even put the Sunset Limited back on the line, improving that service and at the same time further freeing up capacity elsewhere.

But whadda we know ? :-)

Nickatnight

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0449 seconds