Home Open Account Help 206 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Cascade Tunnel Fire - Reroutes?

Date: 08/16/04 19:54
Cascade Tunnel Fire - Reroutes?
Author: barrydraper

We have all heard that Tunnel 7 is on fire South of Eugene, and Amtrak has announced that the Starlight is annuled Oakland to Eugene, with a progected return of no sooner than August 21. Clearly UP's I-5 corridor is shut down, but I found no advisory on the UP web site. Does anyone have ant info. about reroutes to handle all the blocked traffic? Will they go over the Blues and through Salt Lake, or down the Oregon Trunk through Bend, or just tell the customers "We Can't Handle It"?

Date: 08/16/04 20:50
Re: Cascade Tunnel Fire - Reroutes?
Author: up421

There has been some discussion of this.

Have a look here:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,775916

up421

Date: 08/16/04 20:50
Author: JDLX

Roseville-Salt Lake City-Hinkle is the re-route for freights. They have sent a few up the OT on the trackage rights they have between Chemult and Bend, but only on days when BNSF has the capacity available to accept UP trains, which has only happened a day or two so far. UPRRPR responded to a thread about this subject a day or two ago on this board.

JDLX
Elko, NV

Date: 08/16/04 22:47
Author: XtraBoardSlim

Partially true, We are running 3 north and 3 south on the OT and with no problems. PT, MrvHK, And one "Z" XTRABRD SLim

Date: 08/17/04 08:45
Author: parts545

barrydraper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We have all heard that Tunnel 7 is on fire South
> of Eugene, and Amtrak has announced that the
> Starlight is annuled Oakland to Eugene, with a
> progected return of no sooner than August 21.

I wonder why they are not running to Klamath Falls and at least trying a bus bridge
Eugene

Date: 08/17/04 17:58
Author: barrydraper

parts545 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> barrydraper Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > We have all heard that Tunnel 7 is on fire
> South
> > of Eugene, and Amtrak has announced that the
> > Starlight is annuled Oakland to Eugene, with
> a
> > progected return of no sooner than August
> 21.
>
> I wonder why they are not running to Klamath
> Falls and at least trying a bus bridge
> Eugene
>
>
#11 and #14 meet south of Dunsmuir, which means running to K Falls would require and extra set of equipment, which is currently trapped north of the tunnel fire!

Date: 08/17/04 22:33
Author: GenePoon

parts545 Wrote:

> I wonder why (Amtrak) are not running to Klamath
> Falls and at least trying a bus bridge (to)
> Eugene...

Effective August 20 until the track is open again...which looks like it will be quite some time...that will be the operating plan. The full Amtrak Coast Starlight consist will run south of Klamath Falls, so passengers can get sleep overnight. A segment with a Lounge and Coaches will run north of Eugene, with the mentioned bus bridge in between.

Date: 08/18/04 08:33
Author: Amtkrd4man

Talk is that on thursday Amtrak will be deadheading a set south from Saettle to vancouver then up the gorge and up the OT for Klamath. That should put the Q in place for a frinight departure.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.058 seconds