Home Open Account Help 223 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Your Favorite spots

Date: 08/23/04 14:11
Your Favorite spots
Author: westernpacific

What are your two favorite spots to take photos of trains, why and Please locate.
my Favorites,
#1. Binney jct.(in north Marysville Ca) lots of traffic and close to the Dairy Queen one track goes east to the Feather River Canyon the other goes north to Dunsmuir.
#2. Thompson River Canyon(just north of Spences Bridge BC) the two tracks are close together and it's wide open for the most part.

Date: 08/23/04 14:56
Re: Your Favorite spots
Author: funnelfan

1. The Pacific Northwest

Ted Curphey
funnelfan@icehouse.net

Date: 08/23/04 15:11
Author: HUSKERHERB

Woodford & Walong (Tehachapi Pass)

Date: 08/23/04 15:36
Author: Nitehostler

Well, when the Eureka Southern was operating & they still ran trains along the Eel river, I really used to like shooting anywhere between Longvale & Glynn. This was wonderful country & the trains looked right at home, especially when you could get one stopped just for your own pics!
My other favorite spot is Mile 27 on the Grand Canyon Ry. It's on 40 mph rail & when you look to the north, you can see the afternoon train coming from 4-5 miles away. A truly beautiful vista. I've been fortunate to have made friends with the property owners who have always showed me the greatest consideration whenever I & friends have visited there.

Date: 08/23/04 19:04
Author: HoosierVirg

My first choice is Marias Pass, tunnels, mountains, mountain goats(to go with its GN past), snowsheds, trestles, just great scenery. My second choice would be a tie with the Mt. Shasta area and Donner Pass hard to pick between, Donner is especially appealing in the winter. Have a good and safe day!

Date: 08/23/04 22:49
Author: Detector

1. Tehachapi Loop
2. Cajon Pass and Beaumont Hill

Date: 08/23/04 22:59
Author: JasonCNW

1. Kate Shelley High bridge
2. Boone yard, I practicly grew up at the yard office, always some type of power laying around on the ready tracks, great for roster shots.

JC

Date: 08/23/04 23:04

Sorry I don't know where those spots are,can you explain.

Date: 08/24/04 03:28
Author: tarnett

Not in any particular order....

1. Tehachapi and surrounding area.
2. Bluefield, WV.
3. Christiansburg, VA.
4. Northern Arizona-BNSF Transcon.

T.

Date: 08/24/04 05:50
Author: Gonut1

Dover, Delaware

Date: 08/24/04 10:12
Author: HuskerHank

My deck overlooking the Animas River and the "mainline" of the Durango & Silverton. In season, 6 steam movements a day.

Date: 08/24/04 10:36
Author: WP282

1) Eder, CA on Donner Pass: - remote yet easily accessed, gorgeous scenery, great camping spot

2)Feather River Canyon - Scenery, history, traffic

3)Walong/Woodford: - need you ask why?

4)Dunsmuir to Grass Lake: Heavy trains in Run 8, tight curves, shortlines, scenery...maybe this should be #1

WP Mike

Date: 08/24/04 11:34
Author: JasonCNW

Kate Shelley High Brdige mile post 207 on the UP ex-cnw double track mainline across iowa. it's about 5 miles west of downton Boone Iowa. It's 185 feet high, over 2,000 feet long.

Boone Yard, located about 4 blocks east of downtown Boone.

Boone is about an hour north of Des Moines and 20 minues west of Ames. for more info check out the ISU railfan clubs webpage at http://www.stuorg.iastate.edu/railroad/ go to the railfan guide and there is a map of Boone and surrounding areas that should give you a better understanding of it.
Thanks
JC

Date: 08/24/04 12:53

Thank You,I'll be going to some of these spots on my next trip to the main land.
Mahalo and Aloha.

Date: 08/25/04 16:42
So many spots, so little time.
Author: gobbl3gook

The Davis Train Station was a favorite spot of mine even before I moved here. I'd make a point of getting off I-80 in Davis for a bit if I had any slack in my schedule. As you (WP) know, it's a fine little spot, station is in the middle of the wye, very attractive landscaping, and a ton of trains.

Date: 08/25/04 16:49
So many spots, so little time.
Author: gobbl3gook

The Davis Train Station was a favorite spot of mine even before I moved here. I'd make a point of getting off I-80 in Davis for a bit if I had any slack in my schedule. As you (WP) know, it's a fine little spot, station is in the middle of the wye, very attractive landscaping, and a ton of trains.

I'm also a big fan of the Thompson Canyon east of Spences Bridge. Spent a couple days up there in 2001. Wide open country, tons of trains, big river, big canyons. Only complaint was not much diversity in the freight--mostly bulk goods of containers--not the odds and ends that you get down in the states.

But, pretty much any trackside location will do it for me.

A few others from over the years:
* Port of Vancouver, BC
* Provo, UT station and yards
* Soldier Summit
* Grants Tower location (SLC)
* BNSF around Bellingham, WA
* Stockton Tower
* Cisco on DOnner Pass
* Keddie Wye

Generally, I don't get out much, I just hit the closest traqckside location and hang out.

Let us know when you're coming back!

Ted in Davis

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0481 seconds