Home Open Account Help 223 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > St. Paul's "Daytons Bluff" Question...

Date: 08/30/04 19:20
St. Paul's "Daytons Bluff" Question...
Author: DiggerSD60

Still hard to take video/pics from Hoffman Ave,or what?\
Was there 3 yrs ago,got hassled by a CP track guy(DICK i think)..

Any little secrets?..Looking at taking Judy there this Sunday late afternoon/Mon morning..

Date: 08/30/04 19:47
Re: St. Paul's "Daytons Bluff" Question...
Author: Schmittb93

It all depends on the "state of the nation" I used to sit out there all the time and then one day the CPR police cleared everybody out. He said he knew it was a pain but he had his orders. This was when the terror alert was orange. I asked him if I could return after things cooled down and he said he wasent sure. That was about 8 months ago. I've been back many times since and had no problem. Im not taking video but an taking a shot of every train that goes by. Even had the BNSF cop drive by on the access road and not even slow down.

My exprience with the BNSF cops is that the realize there are numerous railfans out there and usurally dont bother us, but when the terror alert is high they get jumpy, espically around yards. During these "High alert" times I get my shot and move on.

I'd say your pretty safe, but dont push your luck. Respect the tracks and keep a respectfull distance.

Brad

Date: 08/30/04 20:44
Author: gobbl3gook

I was there July of last year, no problems. I think I stopped by there this January also, no problems.

Have fun, post your pics!

Ted in Davis

Date: 08/30/04 20:55
Author: alco636

Never had a problem there. Great spot for us.

Date: 08/31/04 06:10
Author: chico

a couple of thoughts:

1. the river side of the area along the tracks (where cars park) is CP property. The bluff side: BNSF. The BNSF does not run people from the "CP" side parked cars, but they do patrol the bluff side regularly. (there is no reason to be on the bluff side anyway).

I've shot pics frm the "parking lot" area on weekends, during the day, no problem. But, I have been asked to leave on a weekday morning while just sitting in a car, this by a rank and file railroad employee but not RR Police. And, I think having your camera and tripod setup after dark would be a flag too. So, it just depends, common sense applies as always.

I'd say keep on going there, stay well back from the tracks and in the "parking" area (not camped out by the home signal bridge, for example). And, of course, leave politely if asked, it is technically RR property. During the 261 runs last fall, the CP Special Agent was tolerant, in fact downright helpful, of people parking in this area and taking pictures, but drew a line on how close people could approach the tracks (which worked good for us photogs--nobody stepped into the shot :)

Note: public property access is possible if you are a pedestrian on the sidewalk across the street along the river. you can simply cross the street (watch the traffic) to your photo vantage point on the opposite curbside when the train(s) show up--all without stepping foot on RR property. A bicycle would come in very handy for this.

Lastly, you can shoot some cool morning shots from the bluff high above--it is a park up there with a neat view--just don't step off the edge of the cliff when you're up there.

Date: 08/31/04 14:44

Good point on there being other places at Dayton's Bluff other than the usual parking spot at the throat of the yard. I once sat on a little limestone outcrop on the BNSF side for a January afternoon, next to the abutment for the overpass. Not quite as up close and personal as the parking area, but nowhere near CP property.

While we're on the topic, how about public land between the wyes--between the river and the CNW overpass. I used to walk that route in the early 90s, but got asked to leave when I tried it a few years ago. There's the fun BNSF tunnels (with skylights) on either side of the wye tracks, and the fun "Commercial St." underpasses. Seems that there might be a few pieces of public land down there for watching. Commercial St. is a fun drive anyhow, but they might have pulled out some of RR bridges since the tracks were abandoned.

(Edit--the st. called "4th St" on the map is also known as Commercial St.)

Ted in Davis

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/31/04 20:28
Author: chico

as far as the area around the wye (I presume you mean Division St.), that immediate area is RR property . A friend who lives in the ex-GN HQ building just to the west on Kellogg St. (now condos--and they saved the very pay window where Mr. James Hill paid his employees in person--but that's a story for another thread) told me that the land to the east of the wye at the base of the bluff is now city property and will be converted to park land at some point in the future. but for now, no access.

Date: 09/01/04 00:21

>>>the land to the east of the wye at the base of the bluff is now city property and will be converted to park land at some point in the future. but for now, no access.
<<<

Interesting. That would make a *great* place for a railfan park. Find a spot with enough elevation that you can see over the near wye-track and see the action elsewhere at the junction. The view from the 3rd St. (Kellogg) Bridge must be pretty good, too, come to think of it. I've never been up there. (Kellogg Bridge is maybe 60' above the tracks, climbing in a steady slope from downtown up to the top of the bluffs. "4th St. East" goes under the tracks in a trench, with "Road Floods in Heavy Rains" signs. I recall that in the early 80s a fellow disregarded the sign and had his car swept out to sea...)

Here's a better version of the Yahoo map, for those not familiar with the area. You can see that an extension of Indian Mounds Park to the north would make a fine spot for trainwatching. At Indian Mounds Park it's a cliff, so the parkland adjacent to the tracks is about 80' higher, with brush growing on the clifftop. North of the existing park the bluff turns into a slope. (Note that Sweed Hollow Park is the ravine that the NP used to go from St. Paul to Duluth).

Ted in Davis

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0513 seconds