Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > LAX trackage on Aviation Blvd

Date: 10/08/04 15:53
LAX trackage on Aviation Blvd
Author: axewound

When I took this pic in 2002 it seemed there was a lot more traffic on this line. I don't think I have seen a train on it for a year at least. Does anyone have more information on this area and how often and when it's used? It was an awesome spot to watch Airliners and Trains at the same time. Just a few of my favorite things ;)

Thanks in advance!!

Matt

Date: 10/08/04 16:08
Re: LAX trackage on Aviation Blvd
Author: millerdc

Most of the traffic on this line was to and from the Ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles. That traffic now goes via the Alemda Corridor.

Date: 10/08/04 16:42
Author: metrolinkvalleysub

Like said above, most all traffic goes via the UP/BNSF Alameda Corridor Subdivision.

This line still sees a local or two every now and then. You know, the strange part is if this line was updated from Aviation to downtown L.A., express rail service might work. Strange, I know.

Date: 10/08/04 17:04
Author: DNRY122

Check out the "friends4expo" website, especially the Green Line discussion section. One or more of the contributors has been really beating the drums for LAUS--LAX DMU service, bypassing the triple transfer required to do it on local transit (Red to Blue to Green, plus the airport loop bus.)

Date: 10/08/04 17:27
Author: CimaScrambler

The tracks past the Aviation/Imperial Green Line Station have been quiet for a couple of years now. They were running inspection hi-railers through there on a weekly basis for a while, and may still be doing so. The nearest train activity is at El Segundo, where the 711 Job (ex-First Watson Roadswitcher) brings cars to interchage with the Chevron Refinery's captive switch job on a Mon-Sat basis. They show up at El Segundo around noon or so. I saw them at beans by the Marine Green Line Station at about 12:30 PM on Wednesday, as I was passing by on the freeway.

Here's a link to a web page on my site that gives some background and more info on that line.

http://members.trainorders.com/cimascrambler/LunarLight/Harbor_Sub_Index/index.htm

- Kit

Date: 10/09/04 13:20
Author: czuleget

Come this October 21 to the Boston Market in El Segundo on Rosecrans ave. For a meeting of the Friends of the green line. They will be talking about this subject, to get Metrolink running to LA and down to the port and make a round trip up the UP San Pedro line to Union station. allowing a link to LAX for passenger rev.
This is the new plan sence the High speed rail is no no longer going to the airport. Which I thought was a bad Idea anyway.

Date: 10/11/04 00:20
Author: casco17

CimaScrambler Wrote:

> They were running inspection hi-railers through
> there on a weekly basis for a while, and may still
> be doing so.

I have not seen these. For several months last year, there were several DODX cars rusted in place on the track at the east end of the LAX runways. They were there during the "Code Orange" alert but I don't know if that was coincidence.

The DODX cars are now on the siding next to the Marine/Redondo Beach Green Line station.

MP

Date: 10/12/04 13:48
Author: axewound

thanks for all the good info everyone!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0632 seconds