Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > MP36PH-3C Cab Photos For "Red"

Date: 11/26/04 20:55
MP36PH-3C Cab Photos For "Red"
Author: fjc

Replying to a comment from Red below, here are photos of the interior and desktop of the Boise MP36PH-3C used on Caltrain, this stems back from the original discussion of the SD70ACE cab configuration and control stand post a few days ago. In relation to Red's comment and questions, I like the Boise engines, the ride like a heavy F40, they are fast upon transition and have been fairly reliable from their initial teething pains when delievered. Ergonomically the cab is very big on these units, the seats are fairly comfortable, overall reach to the controls and buttons/switches is fairly comfortable. As another poster, and fellow commute engineer commented, the window on the side could be larger, the front windows obstruct view to the left of the right of way, otherwise there isn't much that nags me with these. The earlier Boises, 921-922 have the brake valve and throttle on the opposite positions, and the horn is near the window, which makes these different to run at first and takes a bit to get used to.

"You're a lucky man to get to run F40's everyday. Have run one a couple of times, but am a freight man. But the F40 is my favorite all-time model.

Don't knock the new UPRR SD70M stands, though. They're actually quite good, and remind me a great deal of the F40...certainly more so than the older
70M's with the desk.

I take it that you don't care for the cab interior of the M36PH? Aside from the ergonomices, how do those units run? Do you have any digital pics you
could upload of the interior of one of those to satisfy our curiosity?

I always said that the M36PH would have been a better-looking unit, and probably actually cheaper to build, had it been built with the standard SD70M
style North American Cab. Would have looked like a baby FP45, rather than the Euro-whatever they're trying to make these things look like."

Date: 11/26/04 21:01
Re: MP36PH-3C Cab Photos For "Red"

Engineers desktop area of the cab.

Date: 11/26/04 21:02

Fireman desk and seat, if ever something like these were used on the mainline in long haul type service, it would be nice to have a radio handset on this side and horn/bell buttons.

Date: 11/26/04 21:03

Some controls from the control stand, moved above, such as engine run, fuel pump, generator field.

Date: 11/26/04 21:05

Computer on backwall.

Date: 11/26/04 21:06

These fridges work really good, give them a while they won't work at all <G>.

Date: 11/26/04 21:28
Author: Red

Thank you very much, FJC! Have always found these to be fascinating units. Basically an "F50PH". Glad to hear that they ride and run well, and are rapid accelerators, as a passenger unit should be.

Date: 11/26/04 22:00
Author: samreeves

Where's the microwave and the crapper???

Date: 11/26/04 23:48
Author: MrMRL

Nice, even has a cup holder!

cool.

Robby F. (Mr. MRL)

Date: 11/27/04 15:23
Author: AMTK157

Looks from a railfan perspective to be a nice configuration, except I don't too much care for the colors... or lack thereof.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0586 seconds