Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BIG S. California rail projects in 2005?

Date: 11/29/04 20:25
BIG S. California rail projects in 2005?
Author: metrolinkvalleysub

This year we saw a few railroad projects in the greater L.A. area. A second platform at Camarillo, some new second main track out by Palm Springs, the San Onofre siding extension, the UP Anaheim street running rehabilitation, and the beginning of 3MT from Basta to Bandini.

Now, I'm talking about 2005 now. Do the railroads have any big projects they're saving up for 2005?

I know of a few:

- 3MT, Basta to Bandini
- 3MT, up Cajon Pass
- 2MT, CP Linoln to CP La Veta

Are there any other noteworthy projects slated for the year ahead?

Many thanks for your reply.

Date: 11/29/04 21:45
Re: BIG S. California rail projects in 2005?
Author: mundo

By the end of 2005, could see the start of rebuilding,
the San Jacinto branch from Riverside to Romoland, for Metrolink service to start late 2007, early 2008.

New platforms at Santa Ana, with a ped bridge overcrossing, to the south track. Work has started.

Date: 11/29/04 22:25
Author: karldotcom

East LA Gold line was funded

Date: 11/29/04 22:50
Author: myoungwisc

And what will ever become of the ill-fated trench and foreshadowed triple main from Basta to Esperanza? And even if they wanted 3 mains East past Fullerton there would probably be a *few* obsticles:

Would the new bridge in Pla-cent-ia force it back down to two tracks or was someone thinking ahead?

How would one divert three tracks through Atwood, especially since the outer main is about 10 feet from a 50mph road with no barriers? Taking the inside track would be plausable...but the connection with the Olive sub would be totally reconfigured, as would the trackage down to Richfield.

Good luck getting a third track through Imperial...unless they finally build that damned bridge everyone is talking about.

Other than that, the straight (and curvy) sections along Crowther, Orangethorpe and Esperanza should be a breeze at what, $1M/mile?

-Martin ...starting to model modern NS for no good reason.

Date: 11/29/04 23:12
Author: BNSF9999

Martin,
IF and I say IF this trench project ever gets started I suggest they start running trains down the middle of Orangethorpe Ave. They should run'em from Imperial Hwy to the Orangethorpe Ave grade crossing!

It would really make the people of Placentia happy!

Date: 11/30/04 01:34
Author: MrMRL

I still wonder how BNSF is planning on crossing the Rosecrans intersection. I have heard talk about going under the intersection, but then how would they tackle Coyotes Creek 800 ft. west???

And then there are all those bridges that need to be added;
Dale St. (almost done)
Beach Blvd.
Valley View Ave. (if they go under)
Rosecrans Ave. (also if)
Coyote Creek
Carmenita Ave.
Florence Ave.
Bloomfield Ave.

Imperial Hwy is safe because the east siding at the Norwalk Metrolink Station will become the 3rd main.

By the way, they have added a new switch to the east end of that siding facing La Mirada, for the new main???

Robby F. (Mr. MRL)

Date: 11/30/04 09:03
Re: BIG S. California rail projects in 2005?/mundo
Author: CPRR

When will Metrolink double track between Chatsworth and Raymer?

Date: 11/30/04 11:39
Author: parts545

CPRR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When will Metrolink double track between
> Chatsworth and Raymer?

At least add a siding at Northridge

And UP should rebuild Ortega set out between Seacliff and East Santa Barbara into a real siding so the Amtraks can meet (weather UP or California money pays for it)

Date: 11/30/04 18:35
Author: TopcoatSmith

MrMRL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And then there are all those bridges that need to
> be added;
> Dale St. (almost done)
> Beach Blvd.

Uhmm, Beach has been in progress for quite a while in addition to already being three tracks wide.

TCS - storm drain trooper

Date: 11/30/04 19:09
Author: metrolinkvalleysub

Good idea, hopefully in 4-5 years?

Parts545 - Can you tell me a bit more about the Ortega set-out? Where is it close to? Thanks.

Date: 12/01/04 07:31
Ortega, MP 374 on Santa Barbara Sub
Author: Josiah

Ortega used to be a short siding between Santa Barbara and Seacliff. I believe if was 3500' to 4000' and had a spring switch on the east end as did many sidings between San Luis Obispo and Burbank. Part of the siding at Ortega slid in to the Pacific Ocean one winter [mid 1980’s?] and the eastern end of the siding was removed. The west end remains a stub spur to this day.

I agree with a previous post that Ortega would make an excellent passenger siding, approximately 1500' long with CTC. Currently, it takes 25 minutes to run one way between Santa Barbara and Seacliff. If Ortega was a viable siding, that time frame would be cut in half.

Ortega is located west of Carpinteria in the town of Summerland. The “north” Padaro lane exit of Highway 101 crosses over the abandoned east end of the siding. A parking lost is located at the “old” east end of Ortega for beach goers to park and access the beach.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0569 seconds