Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Exploring the Front Range from Chugwater to Cheyenne

Date: 12/11/04 21:52
Exploring the Front Range from Chugwater to Cheyenne
Author: frontrangeflyer

By spending the night of October 18th in a shabby motel in Wheatland, I was lucky after getting up and out at 4:30 to encounter a LAUDEN which I pursued in pitch blackness on Iron Mountain road out of Chugwater. Some light with heavy overcast finally allowed me to get the first shot of the train at Jordan. They are climbing the steep Altus Hill that required 2-10-2 helpers in steam days (I saw some of them). I learned later that they barely made it at 9 MPH. . . Joe S.

Date: 12/11/04 21:53
Re: Exploring the Front Range from Chugwater to Cheyenn

Between Jordan and Underwood

Date: 12/11/04 21:54

Approaching Iron Mountain

Date: 12/11/04 21:56

At this point, they have topped out at Altus and are south of that point

Date: 12/11/04 21:57

Horse Creek where there is some aggregate business

Date: 12/11/04 21:57

Approaching Islay

Date: 12/11/04 22:00

At Cheyenne where they received a DPU unit to handle Burke's Hill (MP 22/24). They meet there opposite at Owl Canyon, but that will be for another day. . . Joe S.

Date: 12/12/04 04:56
Author: blackhillshogger

Great photos. I have a few friends on the RR who work this line out of Casper. Out of the way but worth a look. This line has been on chopping block on and off. Hope it holds up as business is good.
One of proposed I have seen is sale/abandonment from Wendover to Loveland, CO. Yes, Altus Hill is a challenge but many trains are now DPU equipped and makes a lot of difference. Better than setting out over tonnage somewhere enroute.

Date: 12/12/04 05:23
Re: Setting out tonnage to climb Altus HIll

Blackhillshogger, the engineer told me in Cheyenne that 39 cars of this train had been set out in Casper. I don't know the grade on Altus, and can't locate a profile at this time. However it is interesting that the same train got a DPU at Cheyenne to tackle the 2 per cent of Burke's Hill which has long been said to be the stiffest climb encountered between Pasco and Texas. . . Joe S.

Date: 12/12/04 07:33
Author: blackvy

Frontrange flyer--my son works at a ranch at Lambert so I see this section regularly. It is really spectacular with its wide open vistas and great backgrounds. Thanks for the pics. One pic opp that I have enjoyed so much is at Islay where I enjoy shooting the lead engines straining to get up the hill, but can also get the rear dpu into a final pic along with the lead engines in front due to the curvature of the track.
Doug Duncan
Lander, Wyo

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0442 seconds