Home Open Account Help 394 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Why does MRL need 2 mainlines?

Date: 03/11/05 19:52
Why does MRL need 2 mainlines?
Author: jgilmore

Merle observers:

I've been pondering this question: Why does MRL need 2 mainlines through the mountains of western Montana (Evaro Hill and 4th Sub)? I know one is more treacherous than the other, and thus one carries more traffic, but with daily train counts consistently around 20 or so (25 when busy?) I just don't see the logic.

One easy answer would seem to be having an alternate route in the case of an emergency, but the rest of the MRL is single track, so that by itself couldn't be the whole story could it? And not all trains need helpers on the 4th Sub, do they? So if all trains went that way, why couldn't it work to have only one line? Help me out here, boys.......

Thanks for any replies,
Joel Gilmore
Alburtis, PA

Date: 03/11/05 20:19
Re: Why does MRL need 2 mainlines?
Author: albinatunnel

I can try to answer some of your question.

These two lines were inherited from BNSF (formally NP). The Evero line is shorter. Northern Pacific used the shorter line as a passenger route. It is steep going west out of Missoula and would require helpers if the train was of any size. It is dark territory and jointed rail, not what you would call mainline and only sees a couple of trains a day.
The southern route is welded rail, CTC and considered a water level route, mostly along the Clark Fork.
There is a branch line that takes off of the Evero line.

Date: 03/11/05 21:03
Author: NDHolmes

The Polson Branch splits off the Evaro line at Dixon, which is one reason for its being despite being an inferior alignment. The local comes out of Missoula, but I suppose if they ever got rid of the line it could come from Paradise... Having the two "mains", though, allows light, eastbound, or less significant freight to be sent over Evaro to avoid stopping up the faster, lightly graded southern NP freight main. As an example, the "Gas Local" - essentially a gasoline train between Thompson Falls and Missoula - often runs over Evaro empty eastbound (thanks, fbe, my error, getting too late at night). I've also seen passenger specials and BNSF baretables come down Evaro going east, while loaded stacks and junk trains would take off at Paradise and follow the river route.

Like I said, passengers eastbound at Evaro on RMRT back in the summer of 2003.

Nathan
http://www.drgw.net

Date: 03/11/05 21:29
Author: fbe

The MRL 4th sub mainline (DeSmet-St Regis-Paradise) is part of the mainline leased for 60 years from BN. The MRL 10th sub mainline (DeSmet-Ravalli-Paradise) is owned by MRL. Dennis Washington who own Washington Corporations and thus MRL is a believer in the long term potential of rail service in Montana for existing business and industries not yet developed. MRL still has rails in place to near Phillipsburg though no trains have run on the line for over 20 years. When MRL started up the line between DeSmet and Ravalli had not seen any traffic for several years. MRL started operation over that line when a derailment closed the 4th sub main. Since then much of the line has been ralayed with welded rail and thousands of new ties are installed annaully.

In addition to being used as a derailment related detour the line can be used to ease congestion on the 4th sub in connection with BNSF detours over MRL, track work windows on the 4th sub between DeSmet and Paradise, to reduce transit time for lighter and faster trains. It is common to find empty grain or coal trains on the line resulting to less delays to heavier westbound trains on the river line. That can reduce dog catching expenses for trains caught up in the Hauser/Yardley area. The Polson local runs two days a week and has recently been running with 20-25 cars each trip.

MRL has several good reasons to use and maintain the alternate mainline. I don't think you will see that change in the forseeable future.

Note: The Gas Local runs loads west and mtys east. Both sides of Evaro are 2+% and any train below 2.5 hp/ton is a likely helper candidate and MRL does not commonly supply helpers unless there is an MOW window on the river line.

Date: 03/12/05 17:08
Author: MEKoch

Good for Dennis Washington! A man with vision.

Now if was CSX territory, they would have sold out and torn up the track years ago. And of course, their mainline would totally screwed up, with no work windows available, dead trains in every siding, and managament scratching their ass wondering why they were in such a predicament.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0588 seconds