Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP derailment in SB

Date: 04/04/05 23:11
UP derailment in SB
Author: cajon

UP derail 10 to 12 car in a deep cut in San Bernardno tonight on the cutoff. Tehachapi will be slow for the UP so that should help the P811.

Dennis

Date: 04/05/05 12:04
Re: UP derailment in SB
Author: xsphogger

This location of this derailment is a real "rollycoaster" in grade profile. Although we don't know the cause of this derailment and they could be numerous, I remember when you were helping a northbound train through this territory you would get a violent "run-in" unless you would throttle off.
When this railroad was built in 1967 it was laid out to go over the old Santa Fe second district and Rialto Ave. Then it would decend to go under Foothill Blvd. formerly old route US66 after which it would start uphill again. This "dip" would cause a fast change in slack action especially when a helper was entrained.

Date: 04/05/05 20:21
Author: GEOANGEL

cajon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> UP derail 10 to 12 car in a deep cut in San
> Bernardno tonight on the cutoff. Tehachapi will be
> slow for the UP so that should help the P811.
>
> Dennis

I don't see how this incident could really
alter the amount of traffic headed for Tehachapi too terribly much. It would be very easy to detour U.P. trains from the cutoff onto the BNSF Berdoo Sub at Colton and back onto the cutoff at the Keenbrook connector.

George,
Fontana,Cal.

Date: 04/05/05 20:46
Author: BarstowRick

GEOANGEL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> cajon Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > UP derail 10 to 12 car in a deep cut in San
> > Bernardno tonight on the cutoff. Tehachapi
> will be
> > slow for the UP so that should help the
> P811.
> >
> > Dennis
>
>
>
> I don't see how this incident could really
> alter the amount of traffic headed for Tehachapi
> too terribly much. It would be very easy to
> detour U.P. trains from the cutoff onto the BNSF
> Berdoo Sub at Colton and back onto the cutoff at
> the Keenbrook connector.
>
> George,
> Fontana,Cal.
>
>

George and all,

I sure like your idea it would work if.

There was a crossover designed to allow trains, to go from the BNSF to the UP tracks. No such animal exists. The two crossovers on the "Hill" are designed to allow trains from the UP to the BNSF.

You would have to back the trains thru the crossovers to get back onto the UP tracks. The best way to detour is Glendale, to Saugus, Newhall, Mojave and over Tehachapi. Another alternative is to run Colton, Sanbernardino all the way to Barstow, thru the wye and onto the BNSF tracks from Barstow back across to Mojave and on to Tehachapi.

Anyway , what a mess aye?

RickH

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds