Home Open Account Help 167 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Creative Critism on photo, thank you.

Date: 04/10/05 15:58
Creative Critism on photo, thank you.
Author: rt_wolf

Hi folks,

Yesterday I was finally able to go play with my new Canon 28mm to 135mm Image Stabilization lens.

Here is one of the pictures I took with the new lens. I was trying to capture the front of the locomotive and the rest of the train going off in the horizon. I was about 50 feet from the front of the SD40M-2, 135mm with F5.6 and 400-speed film in a Canon RebelG at around 4:30pm.

I would appreciate any creative criticism on the photo, such as what I should have done differently or what you like about the photo. The only way to get better is with feedback.

Robert T.

Date: 04/10/05 16:33
Re: Creative Critism on photo, thank you.
Author: JasonCNW

Photo looks great. I wouldent change a thing unless you wanted less of the freight cars in the photo,which then i would change the angle of the camera a bit.
JC

Date: 04/10/05 17:40
Author: metrolinkvalleysub

I think it's a wonderful picture, I like the sky (as not every sky is as blue as the sea). If you're going for the "3/4 equipment shot with the perfect sky, clouds, lighting, etc" then ignore me.

Date: 04/10/05 18:20
Author: fbe

It is sort of out of balance. It is heavy on the left side and empty on the right. Both the nose of the engine and the grain elevator are on the left, open space and sky on the right. The unit is too close to the left side leaving it no room to move into. It is interesting but it could be better.

Suggestions to try, back up, shoot earlier (this will open up some sky above the locmotive as well), move to the left and shoot the shadow side of the train with the red nose on the right side to balance the elevator on the left. Gain elevation if possible.

Alan

Date: 04/10/05 18:29
Author: Anonymous User

What grain elevator is everyone talking about??? All I see is a spine car with a container on it behind the locomotive.

Matthew

Date: 04/10/05 18:30
Author: Ed_Gyptian

There appears to be something wrong with the engine, oh thats right, THE UP HERALD. :) Aside from that, it's a pretty good shot.
Ed Gyptian
In country for two months and still haven't seen a damn train...

Date: 04/10/05 18:58
Author: Bermuda999

Grain elevator?

Date: 04/10/05 19:30
Author: lowwater

Well, might as well stick my oar in. I like the "emptiness" on the right if only because (a) I HATE roster-shot after roster-shot after roster-shot, and (b) the distant scenery on the right adds not only some non-roster interest but gives at least a few clues as to where the shot was made. Since, Robert, you left that little detail out...without the palm fronds and the distant mountains this could be anywhere, at least with both I can narrow it down to somewhere in the Southwest.<g>

My only criticism of the photo itself is that it seems a little bright and therefore washed-out. If you tweaked the scan, could have happened there, otherwise if a chronic occurrance I'd suggest boosting the film-speed setting on the camera a little. I have to do that with my old Pentax.

And I'll add my voice to the chorus....WHAT grain elevator???

lowwater

Date: 04/10/05 20:06
Author: Ed_Gyptian

Upon closer inspection, I also ask Huh? Grain elevator? Is that an SW-1500 as the second unit?

Date: 04/10/05 20:30
Author: up833

The balance of the photo is ok for my liking. However I dont care for the artsie out of focus in the distance and i believe thats what makes the right side look "unusual". So I figure if you want a nose shot of a loco just stick to a nose shot. Like was said before..get back some..step to the right more and i bet you would have a more pleasing "train" photo with it all in focus.
Roger B

Date: 04/10/05 20:51
grain elevator
Author: fbe

Ok, so I am working from a thumbnail here because I am cheap. Now I see double track or a siding with a container behind. Still it is heavy on the left and there is no where for the engine to go.

Date: 04/10/05 21:18
Author: rt_wolf

Thank you for the comments, and trust me I will take several of them to heart. I am always willing to learn from folks.

Lowwater, I agree with you about the roster shots. I enjoy taking them, but now I am getting more into the creative side of rail fanning photography, trying different aspect and techniques. Kind of like my model railroading, at first I was just buying everything, but as I got more involved I started to settling down with one era and a predominate railroad.

As for location, it was taken in Ontario, California on the Los Angles subdivision, where I live. In the background is ONT, Ontario International Airport. The ex-SP unit was parked on the siding, with no crew. I should have tried to time it with an airliner taking off. :D

As for the grain elevator . . . . What grain elevator??? BNSF9647 was right; it was a spine car with a container on it. At the time of the photo, a UP train with two SD70M and a GATX SD40-2 leasing unit on the point.

In addition, Roger B, looking at the photo you are right I should have stood back further and angled myself better. However, being the first time trying this kind of photo, I was expecting to make a mistake.

And to answer your question Ed-Gyptian, yes that was a SW1500 as the middle unit. Also, heads up, you have a package coming your way with Train Sim stuff.

Thank you again for the comments and suggestions.

Date: 04/11/05 06:15
Author: QU25C

Hi shot with the 28-135 IS it is a nice lens . ISO400 at 5.6 ? i think it woud be better off at 500 at f 11 or f 16. As fare as your shot i like to give the train some whare to go as in track ( dont cut so close) this shots at MP 5 West of marqette Iowa 4/9/05 the part i dont get is it looks good till i post then its lighter ? Richard

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0646 seconds