Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > HELP -- Phoenix / Tempe area questions

Date: 04/21/05 06:39
HELP -- Phoenix / Tempe area questions
Author: RustyRayls

I'm going to be in the Phoenix area this weekend for my Granddaughters 1st birthday. I won't have much time for railfanning, but I would like to get a shot of something coming across the Salt River bridge in Tempe. Do the trains in and out of Phoenix run on any predictable schedule? I would like to get a morning or late afternoon shot or even a night shot. early morning works good because my better half likes to sleep in & I don't. Also do the Peavine trains in & out of town run on any kind of regular basis? Thanks in advance for any help.

Bob Jones

Date: 04/21/05 07:10
Re: HELP -- Phoenix / Tempe area questions
Author: jmw

Bob,

Trains run fairly frequently in and out of Phoenix but not on anykind of a schedule.

From personal experience and listening to UP chatter on the scanner every morning there is quite a bit of UP traffic between 0630 and 1030 hours. Right now we are up to about eight UP trains a day on the Phoenix Sub, not including locals.

The BNSF is more of a hit and miss. I know there is an EB that leaves Mobest almost everyday around 1600 hours (4pm). Just take a drive along Grand Ave and you will most likely find some BNSF action.

Hope this helps.

JMW
http://www.arizona-rails.com

Date: 04/21/05 07:28
Author: RustyRayls

Thanks, maybe I'll run into you down at Shawmut again some time.

Date: 04/21/05 07:36
Author: Winks

I live near the BNSF in Surprise. It seems every morning between 7-9 AM there is a westbound coming into town. Most of the time it has a meet with an eastbound at the Beardsley siding by Grand Ave and Reems Rd.

On Grand Ave between Bell Rd and 111 Ave. there is a great girder bridge over the Aqua Fria where you can get good morning shots. This is just south of the auto unloading yards.

Date: 04/21/05 13:36
Author: MagmaJctAz

I've had good luck in the evenings at Tempe town lake. It's funny, when I'm not looking for them, the rails get quite busy. But if I decide to "wait for a train" I'm waiting for hours, and eventually give up.

Last weekend I saw an inbound freight, blew it's horns through all the crossings. A few minutes lates, the local went over the bridge, never blew their horns. Anyone know why not?
--Mike

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0309 seconds