Home Open Account Help 215 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Need some Pipe?

Date: 05/03/05 00:30
Need some Pipe?
Author: funnelfan

Once again, unit pipe trains are operating over UP's Can-Am corridor, this time heading to someplace in Wyoming. Plate steel from Oregon Steel Mills in Portland, OR is shipped to a pipe rolling plant in Canada, and the pipe comes down in unit trains on CP flats. Bonus points to the person who can figure out where this location is at. Really two names will work, one is a siding, and the other is a location. It all depends on weather you are naming the background or the foreground.

Ted Curphey
funnelfan@icehouse.net

Date: 05/03/05 01:02
Re: Need some Pipe?
Author: LostMTKid

My guess is Matthews/Lo-Mo; looking NE towards Ayer and Points North.

Date: 05/03/05 06:36
Author: CyberFoamer

Page?

Casey

Date: 05/03/05 09:51

So far you guys have managed to hit either side of the location.

Ted Curphey
funnelfan@yahoo.com

Date: 05/03/05 10:36
Author: LostMTKid

funnelfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So far you guys have managed to hit either side of
> the location.
>
> Ted Curphey
> funnelfa
> 10;@yahoo.c
> 11;m

If Matthews and Page mark the boundaries of said photo, using the process of elimination that only leaves us one siding to choose from: Walker. I've been over the Ayer Sub only a gazillion times...but in the cab, not on the r-o-w. This has been rather fun (and challenging) trying to judge the geomorphic elements in the photo with what I remember from bouncing along at 50 mph. :)

Date: 05/03/05 10:49
Author: truxtrax

Magallen?

Butch,,,,,here we go

Date: 05/03/05 11:21
Author: TCnR

funnelfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Once again, unit pipe trains are operating over
> UP's Can-Am corridor,

Was that called the Washy in past episodes? Is Can-Am the Corporate name for the route?

Plate steel from Oregon
> Steel Mills in Portland, OR is shipped to a pipe
> rolling plant in Canada,

The green coating looks like the high pressure natural Gas pipe, would this operation be replacing the Napa Pipe in California? Methinks the Company had many locations and was playing some sort of Economy of scale game, after laying off a bunch of people of course.

Interesting photo spot.

Date: 05/03/05 12:31
Author: Doze

Sheffler. That is, the foreground. Walker for the background.

Date: 05/03/05 18:48

Geez Doze, you nailed it right on the money! I was standing in the shadow of the Sheffler Grain Elevator. I did some exploring down along the snake river this past weekend, even found a 6' tall wall of tumble weeds blocking one road near Walker.
The photo below is looking downriver at the Sheffler Grain Elevator from the Walker Pit Road.

Ted Curphey
funnelfan@yahoo.com

Date: 05/03/05 18:50

Yes, the Washy and SI (Spokane International) are part of the Can-Am Corridor (which also includes the I-5 Corridor).

Ted Curphey
funnelfan@yahoo.com

Date: 05/03/05 18:59
Author: Doze

Sweet! I've never been there, never seen it. That's for this summer. How'd I get it? From poring over my DeLorme 3D TopoQuads. I noticed several things: the train was on an S-curve; it was entering a cut; there is a navigation device (light) on the riverbank; and to a lesser degree, the lighting of the hills to the north. So, with that info, and the other's contributions of not-Page + not-Matthews, I consulted the map. Great pics, BTW, as is usual for you!

Doug in Auburn, Wash.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.054 seconds