Home Open Account Help 255 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > What is the oldest freight car running right now?

Date: 05/20/05 00:18
What is the oldest freight car running right now?
Author: Railfan4Christ

Was looking at some slides and was reminded of photographing an old GN wood chip car that was running on the BNSF a couple of years back. It has to be 35+ years old, I think. Does anyone know of one older?

Last year I also saw an old NP intermodal trailer being used as a storage trailer by an electrical contractor in AZ.

Railfan4Christ

Date: 05/20/05 05:08
Re: What is the oldest freight car running right now?
Author: geomel1

AAR Rules prohibit interchange of cars over 50 years old. Now for on line operations, I'd guess there are a lot of cars that old still in service, such as pulpwood cars that do not get offered for interchange.

Date: 05/20/05 05:40
Author: flatwheel

many of the 86' cars on CSXT at Indy are approaching 40. They are out of interchange service at 40. Rejected as overage, ok to use on home road but not ok to interchange

Date: 05/20/05 06:15
Author: AAK

I still see GN, NP woodchip cars and CB&Q coal/rock hoppers almost daily and an occasional CB&Q tank car.

Date: 05/20/05 07:07
Author: MAB

I took a photo two years ago of ATSF 206923, a flatcar painted in the silver & black lettering M/W scheme. It was in BNSF's Gibson Yard here in Omaha, still in use. You can clearly see Blt. 7/24 painted on the side, and the car looks the part as it is of riveted construction. A check in Umler showed a blt date in the 1950's, so it was obviously rebuilt at that time to the point of being considered new (yes there are provisions for this). It also obviously continued to get upgrades because it has roller bearing trucks as well. But if the paint on the side is right, and from the looks of the car it probably is, then this car was running around at least at 79 years of age....

Date: 05/20/05 08:15
Author: toledopatch

MoW cars are almost certainly the champions in this regard.

As far as cars in daily service, the ex-C&NW iron ore jennies in use on CN in upper Michigan and/or the DMIR's ore jennies are probably right up there.

Date: 05/20/05 08:57
Author: CShaveRR

I was surprised last night to see a UP 60000-series GS gondola (still carrying its revenue number, but loaded with company ties). That has to be at least 50 years old.

Date: 05/20/05 11:19
Author: Rathole

Toledopatch has it - MofW cars most likely the record holder on any railroad. Some of the flats used in NS tie gang service have build dates in the 1920's. Obvoiusly these cars are in a light duty restricted service and not interchanged to anyone.

Date: 05/20/05 13:52
Author: 830-east

UP 89ft. flats in the 253XXX series and MP 89ft. flats in the 153XX series that are used to haul rails were built in 58-59.

Date: 05/20/05 14:06
Author: FUSEE

In regards to the GN and NP woodchip cars. You better get your pictures now because in a couple of years they'll be gone. BNSF has been retiring alot of these lately as well as some Frisco cars

Date: 05/20/05 14:11
Author: DoctorEvil

Heres one for ya'. I may have some others, but I think this is the oldest I have. I shot this old car still earning it's keep on CSX in Folkston, GA on 02-16-05. Its gotta be close to 50 years old. Unfortunately there really isn't much information on the web about freight car rosters. Even something with general number series would really help. *wink wink* Someone out there has to have some good info/records of that they would love to share with the rest of us. At any rate here it is. Anyone who could shed some light on the history of this car?

Doctor Evil
- Justin Englert
Summerville, SC

"I didn't go to evil medical school for six years to be called mister thank you very much."

Date: 05/20/05 14:40
Author: St.Croix334

There are also some early '20s ex-C&NW flatcars used on the LS&I in MOW. Some of the ore cars used by LS&I in revenue service (non interchange) date back to the late '30s.

Date: 05/20/05 16:27
Author: Evan_Werkema

MAB Wrote:

> I took a photo two years ago of ATSF 206923, a
> flatcar painted in the silver & black
> lettering M/W scheme.

Could you read the class number? It would have been on the right side of the side sill, Wt-(something).

Date: 05/20/05 17:37
Author: pdt

Anyone seen any 4 wheel scale test cars around anywhere?

The "new" ones were from the the 1930's and 40's; old ones
from the 1890's where around at least until the 1980's.

Just wondering if anyone has seen any recently

pdt

Date: 05/20/05 17:44
Author: Southern-Pacific-fan

I noticed several ex-SP 354200 series outside braced woodchip cars at the mill in Longview WA. They have to be close to 40 years old.
When were they sold?
How many still exist?
I don`t know the area well, is there an way to get down to them
for photos?

Chuck S.

Date: 05/20/05 22:23
Author: James1

While the oldest I've seen doesn't take the cake for age (a 1940's CNW gondola) it may take home the "least modern" title. Only car I've seen in over 6 years out here rolling on friction bearings still.

Date: 05/20/05 23:31
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

Saw WP 4424 a very short gonola maybe 30' car.. loaded with ties at 4th Street yard for a couple of months..the COTS sticker said bulit 1953...

Date: 05/21/05 06:26
Author: TrackOne

It is quite interesting that passengers can ride in 50+ year old equipment but freight cannot.....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0457 seconds