Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Where is the best place to watch the Illinois Central?

Date: 07/03/05 08:58
Where is the best place to watch the Illinois Central?
Author: usa4624

I would like to spend a day or two watching the former Illinois Central everything gets painted in CN red; where is the best/busiest place along IC's mainline to watch?

I am in Texas, but am willing to travel to anywhere on the system, including Chicago or Mobile.

Date: 07/03/05 09:58
Re: Where is the best place to watch the Illinois Centr
Author: LenKratz

Where are you located? I can name a couple of areas: Kankakee to Effingham, and Fulton,KY (a crew change point) to Jackson, MS (also a crew change point)via Dyersburg, Covington (TN), Memphis (use caution there), Greenwood, MS and Yazoo City.

LK in AZ

Date: 07/03/05 12:11
Author: JasonCNW

you could also try the ex IC exx CCP line from chicago to co.bluffs. especialy the area around dubuque iowa.
JC

Date: 07/03/05 12:53
Re: Starting from Texas
Author: LenKratz

In that case, my first suggestions apply--except in reverse. Start at Jackson and work north. Keep in mind that much traffic on those routes may be at night. Good hunting.

LK

Date: 07/03/05 15:18
Author: calhog

I can reccommend a couple places that have good action and are easy to get to.
One is Tolono, about 7-8 miles south of Champaign on US 45. The NS, former Wabash, crosses here, so there's some bonus action. The second is Tuscola, about 13 miles south of Tolono, also on US 45. The UP, former MP, crosses here, as well as a CSX branch, so more bonus action. Have fun.

Date: 07/04/05 19:59
Author: Clarence

Gilman Illinois (between Kankakee and Champaign-Urbana) is where the TP&W crosses the IC and a branch line to Decator and I think the St. Louis area splits from the main. There's even the hulk of a old concrete coaling tower north of town to use as a photo prop.
Clarence

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0312 seconds