Home Open Account Help 235 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Highway route question between Truckee and Portola, CA

Date: 07/06/05 18:34
Highway route question between Truckee and Portola, CA
Author: PasadenaSub

The weekend after this, I'll be setting out from Sacramento to go up Donner Pass one day, spend the night at the Truckee Hotel, and then head up to Portola the next morning and return south via the Feather River Canyon.

In looking at my map, Highway 89 between Truckee and Clio seems the shortest route. I was just curious if this 50 or so mile stretch of highway was fairly speedy (40-55mph), or if it is better to take I-80 to Reno and backtrack on 395/70 to Portola?

Thanks for any advice,

Rich

Date: 07/06/05 18:52
Re: Highway route question between Truckee and Portola,
Author: mdo

Take hwy 89. shorter and more scenic.

Date: 07/06/05 19:16
Author: trainjunkie

I agree on taking Hwy 89. It is NOT a fast stretch of highway and mostly a 2 laner. But it will still be faster than going to Reno then up and back. Do it in daylight, it sucks at night. The only thing that might impede progress is a lumbering RV. This time of year there are probably plenty of them heading to the Gold Lakes Basin.

Anyway, when you reach the Hwy 89/70 jct, you'll be in Blairsden, only about 10 miles west of Portola. Or, better yet, before you get to Graeagle while still in Mohawk Valley (Valley Ranch/Clio area), you can take Hwy A15 off of 89 which is the back way into Portola. It will save you some time, you will get to see the Clio trestle and it dumps you off practically at the Portola RR museum gate. Then when you head west later, take Hwy 70 out of Portola and you'll get to see two different parts of the area and a couple different sections of the Feather River Division.

Here is a map of the 89/A15 junction:

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?name=&addr=&state=CA&csz=Valley+Ranch%2C+CA&ds=n&uzip=96106&mag=4&desc=&country=US&dma=862&cat=ent&resize=l&trf=0&lat=39.733631&lon=-120.557213&mlt=39.733631&mln=-120.557213&rezoom=0&.intl=us&addrtype=12&compass=&i_ov=1&pan_x=0&pan_y=0&panable=1

Have fun!

-Trainjunkie

Date: 07/06/05 20:28
Author: lynnpowell

The area along Hwy 89 for the first 25 miles out of Truckee once hosted a lot of logging railroad trackage. Enjoy the beautiful scenery and imagine what once was rolling through the woods there.

Date: 07/06/05 21:01
Author: samreeves

I like Highway 89 myself. It'll take about an hour from Truckee to Blairsden. The Little Truckee River puts on a real good show each autumn for fall colors. Watch out for the chip truck drivers who have loaded up on Bud.

Date: 07/07/05 09:41
Author: mapboy

Terraserver aerial photo of Clio Trestle with bridge shadow- http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=10&X=3542&Y=22015&W=1&qs=%7cclio%7c%7c Note dirt road access. Can switch back and forth from "Aerial Maps" to "Topo Maps" for plotting access and angles. Google Maps doesn't have their usual color aerial view, it's an older fuzzy view.

mapboy

Date: 07/07/05 11:46
Take trainjunkie's advice
Author: pravihrvat

Only time to route through Reno is during snow storms -- then it can save not just time, but maybe your life!

The advice to not travel after dark is also good -- a ton of deer on the 89 route, especially pre-dawn.

Not really on the same EXACT path, but the Boca & Loyalton RR traversed same general route.

On a further historical note, USAF conducted Arctic survival training for pilots and aircrew in the mountains south of Loyalton and north of Boca in wintertime during the early 1950's.

On a taste tip note, do NOT pass up the bakery in Blairsden!

Date: 07/07/05 14:19
Author: stclair49

Was up to Portola two weeks ago. They were doing controlled burning in the area, Lots of smoke around.
When you leave the museum at Portola and start down Hwy 70. Make sure you Stop at the Hamburger joint two blocks?? or so west/south. It is on the left as you go out of town. They make great food and the small burger was more than i could handle. Well worth the stop.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0509 seconds