Home Open Account Help 198 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF Train Abandoned In San Diego???@^%$&$

Date: 07/09/05 19:01
BNSF Train Abandoned In San Diego???@^%$&$
Author: stretch

Ok how f**ing stupid can the police be. That is one of the most silliest excuses I have ever heard. This country is going way overboard with some things as you can see. This one right here takes the cake.

Date: 07/09/05 19:02
Re: BNSF Train Abandoned In San Diego???@^%$&$
Author: SP7615

I totally agree with you.

SP7615

Date: 07/09/05 19:46
Author: kk5ol

C'mon folks, the train crew woke up the cops or otherwise interrupted whatever they were doing. The cops got pissed cause the train crew was going off duty and the cops had the rest of their shift to work. Any more questions????????

RailNet802, over

Date: 07/09/05 19:48
Author: MtArarat

SP7615 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I totally agree with you.
>
>
> SP7615

The problem is their collective
ignorance of railroad operations,
the NBC network affiliate here in
Syracuse, New York was highlighting
the story during the six pm news.

If they had done the smart thing and
called the dispactchers office or the number
they would have conveniently found on an active
crossing or crossbuck they would have found
out what was going on-
it does not help matters that the local
news affiliates are glued to the police
scanners anfd their respective frequencies.
All it amounts to is a slow news day!!!!

Date: 07/09/05 21:32
Author: Nbetween

It is kinda stupid of them to attract so much attention to this event. I mean how many people ( terrorists included ) now know hey there is no-one on these trains. Why dont they just pass out invatations in the mail. Now i have to watch my back when i stop my train becuase these lunatics are gonna come up and check to see if someone is on it or not. THANKS SAN DIEGO PD , Like i said before there has to be a Krispy Kreme open down there somewhere.

And they need to go after the homeless people that build a small town on some of the right of ways. Now thats a problem..

Date: 07/09/05 21:36
Author: bnsfdoug

I am not a train crew member, is it normal to leave a note when you tie down a train?
Doug

Date: 07/09/05 23:34
Author: wlj619

I think the police have a point. It may be true that MOST people don't know how to get a train moving. But the deal is that SOME un-trained people can undoubtably figure out how to get a train moving, and then you have a safety problem.

IMHO, mgmt should figure out a system for crew changes that eliminates the possibility that someone who doesn't know how to stop a train might figure out a way to get a train moving.

Walter Johnson

Date: 07/10/05 00:21
Author: Jim Kosty

The crews take a certain lever with them - the train can't go anywhere without this lever. I purposely left out the name of it and it's purpose in the event that some unsavory individuals might get some ideas.

Date: 07/10/05 03:34
Author: EspeeGoldenState

Jim Kosty Wrote:
> The crews take a certain lever with them - the
> train can't go anywhere without this lever. I
> purposely left out the name of it and it's purpose
> in the event that some unsavory individuals might
> get some ideas.

Actually there should be 2 of them. I believe each hogger has their own set.

Date: 07/10/05 05:20
Author: Q-GP30

From past experience of being with crews during a tie down, in our neck of the woods there was more to it then just removing"The Object". Properly done it would be hard and time consuming for someone unknowledegable in locomotive operations to get one rolling in a short period of time.

On the old SPCSL whenever they had to tie a train down they would lock the cab doors of the lead motor wether the locomotives were running or not.

This just goes to show the ignorence that the media has of rail operations in North America. I think its another case of "The sky is falling" syndrome that the media comes up with periodically.

As for the police in that area, yeh its good that they keep their eyes open when everything is so keyed up but when you cry wolf over a everyday occurence, wheres it to stop.

Haven't seen any news reports of idling semi's either at rest stops or at truck stops-- darn someone might steal that rig of Coors beer and run it thru a Piggly Wiggly!

Regards
Q-GP30

Date: 07/10/05 06:25
Author: kk5ol

Yeah, In the pre-terror mania days, leaving a train unmanned on the railroad was like leaving your car unlocked with the keys in it in Juneau, AK. Where would a thief take it????

[ref. In 2000 it was reported that there were only 40 miles of improved roadways around Juneau with no connection to the rest of the world.]

RailNet802, over

Date: 07/10/05 07:18
Author: stretch

Also a certain "switch" is flipped to keep it from loading up also. Well most engr's do it. I dont know if it is a requirement or not.

Date: 07/10/05 09:59
Author: ButteStBrakeman

bnsfdoug Wrote:
> I am not a train crew member, is it normal to
> leave a note when you tie down a train?
> Doug

Yes. There is a form (at least on the UP) the condr and engr fill out with info about the train and securement that is left for the next crew.

SLOCONDR

save your ticket.....the P.E. wil rise again.

Date: 07/10/05 12:57
Those who may know how.
Author: fbe

The railroads in Saudi Arabia use EMD units like SD39s and SD60s and perhaps even newer units. The vast majority of the 9/11 hijackers (14 of 19?) were from Saudi Arabia. Now you connect the dots.

Date: 07/10/05 15:58
Author: n6nvr

Jim Kosty Wrote:
> The crews take a certain lever with them - the
> train can't go anywhere without this lever. I
> purposely left out the name of it and it's purpose
> in the event that some unsavory individuals might
> get some ideas.

You might as well name it. The tv news in the LA area mentioned what it was. Plus it's been mentioned several times before in a variety of places.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0708 seconds