Home Open Account Help 222 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Trinidad or Raton

Date: 07/14/05 07:15
Trinidad or Raton
Author: 3rail

My wife and I are planning a trip north from southern New Mexico. Can anyone recommend a decent motel in either Trinidad or Raton where we can spend the night and watch/listen to the trains? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Date: 07/14/05 09:28
Re: Trinidad or Raton
Author: jbwest

If I were to take my wife to that part of the world, I'd probably pick Las Vegas since it has some nice places to stay, an interesting historic district, and some good places to eat. Last time I stayed in Raton the alternatives were so exciting that Motel Six was just fine for me and a railfan buddy.

JBW

Date: 07/14/05 09:53
Author: cajon63

Wife and I stayed in Raton a week ago, staying at the Best Western. Very nice and decent rates with plenty of eating establishments close. I do not believe there is any motel close to the tracks in Raton but we never really paid attention. The town is not that big so whereever you stay is not too far from tracks. There is an old hotel across from the depot that has rooms if it is still open but don't believe you would want to stay in it. A few years ago we stayed in the Holiday Inn in South Trinidad on I 25 and you could see the tracks from the rear of the building at quite a distance. It is also a little more pricey than the BW. Enjoy your trip.

Date: 07/14/05 11:31
Author: BCHellman

I haven't stayed in Raton for over a year, but there is a motel on the very north side of town (railroad east) along the hiway that parallels the right-of-way (this is the old hiway and can be reached by taking the first Raton exit if you are going southbound on I-25). The motel is the first one. I'd give you the name but I don't have it at work. The hotel is good on a number of levels. First, very reasonable rates and good clean rooms. Second: right across from the tracks. And third, it is (was?) run by a retired hoghead who first worked on the SP out of West Colton and then the C&S out of Trinidad. Got tired of taking 3AM calls and now (at least in December of last year) bought and runs this hotel. It's a good deal and you can talk railroad with the guy.

Date: 07/14/05 12:03
Author: chessie

www.tracksidemotels.com shows a listing for Raton.

Date: 07/14/05 14:11
Author: skyview

I usually stay at MicroTel in Raton, clean, with a simple breakfast included.

Date: 07/15/05 00:00
Author: alan jacobson

That guy, BC Hellman, can, sometimes, blow smoke when he starts talking railroad stuff :) but, in this case, I'll 2nd his information. The motel in Raton to which he referred is "The Pass Inn" and, as he mentioned, it is the very first motel which you will encounter (on the west side of the old highway - the main drag through Raton) if you were coming south on I-25 and got off the freeway at Exit 454. Conversely, "The Pass Inn" will be the very last motel that you will encounter on your left if you were to come through "beautiful downtown Raton" from the south, heading north. The motel is laid out in an "L" configuration with many of the rooms directly facing the tracks, which are right across the highway. It is the classic, older, single-level, "mom & pop-style" motel where you can park directly in front of your door and, as Heir Hellman pointed out, the rooms are very clean and comfortable and the rates won't "fracture the plastic". I have stayed there on two trips through Raton and enjoyed the experience both times. Regarding the information that the motel is owned and operated by a former railroader: Hmmm! I didn't know that! Maybe that guy, BCHellman, does know a thing or two after-all. :)

"The Pass Inn"
308 Canyon Drive
Raton, New Mexico 87740
(505) 445-3641

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0424 seconds