Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Looking for West Colton

Date: 07/25/05 17:59
Looking for West Colton
Author: BearCat

Hey folks, going to be in vicinity of Southern California and trying to hit all the 'hot' spots on way back north. Trying to find West Colton. Heard about some Pepper Ave overpass but unable to find on maps, Google Earth, etc. I am coming from Perris, CA after visiting the museum there and on way to Barstow. Help?

Thanks
Home of the BearCat
Light at the End of the Tunnel
http://www.railimages.com/gallery/michaelchristy
P&W OE District MP 32.1

Date: 07/25/05 18:06
Re: Looking for West Colton
Author: PasadenaSub

Date: 07/25/05 18:10
Author: tracktime

The famous Pepper Avenue overpass is an exit right off of Interstate 10.

Try navigating your browser to "maps.google.com" and entering:

"Pepper Ave & interstate 10, Colton, CA 92324"

You'll get a great map!

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 07/25/05 18:30

Thanks guys, just input into Google Earth...what a view. I see that there is also a Riverside Ave overpass. Have not heard that one mentioned or any other area to shoot pictures from. Or, is the Pepper Ave overpass just the best of the best.

Thanks again,
Michael

Date: 07/25/05 19:32
Author: MojaveSubMP347

Pepper is the one you want for shooting Pics, Pepper has a lot less traffic than Riverside Does. But do take a Drive over Riverside, It gives you a great Look at UP'S Locomotive Shop Area.

Date: 07/25/05 19:36
Author: Steamjocky

BearCat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks guys, just input into Google Earth...what a
> view. I see that there is also a Riverside Ave
> overpass. Have not heard that one mentioned or any
> other area to shoot pictures from. Or, is the
> Pepper Ave overpass just the best of the best.
>
> Thanks again,
> Michael

Actually there are 4 overpasses that straddle the yard. Going west to east they are: Sierra Ave., Cedar Ave., Riverside Ave., and Pepper Ave. Pepper is the only one to use as a vantage point. The other three have way too much traffic on them to where you could not do any photography or anything. At least I wouldn't do any from anyone of the overpasses except for Pepper.

If you are at the intersection of I-215 and I-10, take I-10 west towards LA. Go about 4 miles west and you'll see the offramp for Pepper Ave. Go left over the tracks and find a spot to park.

Good luck......

Steamjocky

Date: 07/25/05 19:37
Author: foamer

On Pepper street, you can actually park just south of the overpass (either side of the street). It is a small street, 1 lane each direction, and there is not that much traffic. Riverside is a bigger street, many lanes, no parking.

Also Pepper Street is the east end of the yard, so alot of trains are lined up. There is also a balloon track just east of the overpass. You will see alot of westbound trains entering the yard, yard jobs switching cars, using the balloon track, and eastbounds lined up and departing.

Foamer

Date: 07/25/05 20:18

Thanks again everyone. You guys are making this all too easy. mot complaining, I knew this was the right place to ask questions.

Date: 07/25/05 20:37
Author: foamer

Also if you get hungary, go north on Pepper back over the freeway and turn left at the first street, on the left hand side is a Bakers. An Inland Empire fast food chain that has good food that is really inexpensive.

Foamer

Date: 07/25/05 22:29
Author: GP30

Baker's inexpensive? Geez boy, where have you been eating at? ;-) They were overpriced 15 years ago for the level of service and food quality; for a few more minutes of travel time you can run up to the In-N-Out near the San Bernardino staion or other places even closer within an exit or two if desired.

GP30

Date: 07/25/05 22:45
Author: wlindsays

Tracktime, isn't it left turn at Pepper off I-10 to Colton yard?<G>. My grandson is a tank driver and his Captain hates it when Wright answers, "Yes, Sir!" when he wants a right turn. Leaving OERM, stay on I-215 to I-10 and go west toward LA. Pass the limestone hill and you will come up on Pepper just after you go under the tracks to the North.
Lindsay

Date: 07/25/05 23:16
Author: tracktime

wlindsays Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tracktime, isn't it left turn at Pepper off I-10
> to Colton yard?<G>. My grandson is a tank
> driver and his Captain hates it when Wright
> answers, "Yes, Sir!" when he wants a right turn.
> Leaving OERM, stay on I-215 to I-10 and go west
> toward LA. Pass the limestone hill and you will
> come up on Pepper just after you go under the
> tracks to the North.
> Lindsay

semantics semantics.. and splitting needles.. =)

Quoting "The famous Pepper Avenue overpass is an exit right off of Interstate 10." The sentence I wrote was not meant for issuing directions. The meaning of the sentence is that the Pepper exit itself is directly adjacent to I-10, and not necessarily implying a right-hand turn. That's why I put in pointers for a map! That said, regardless of your direction of travel on I-10, you do indeed exit on the RIGHT side of the freeway first at Pepper!

Any railfan traveling through the area in either direction of traffic will be able to view the large West Colton railyard directly adjacent to the freeway and act accordingly (with a corresponding left or right hand turn after the right-hand exit) once they commit to the Pepper Exit.

Horse dead yet? <grin>

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 07/26/05 00:30
Re: Looking for Hotspots
Author: Detector

After visiting West Colton go east on I10 to California Street in Redlands then turn left on the next street then make a left onto San Timoteo Canyon Road. Trust me trains go up San Timoteo Canyon on a 1.8% grade and you can follow the progress of a train on San Timoteo Canyon Road there is anywhere from 48-55 trains a day there. Take a drive to Fullerton by going onto the 91 freeway from I10 then get off at Harbor BLVD then turn right onto Commonwelth then turn right onto Pamona and you are in the Parking lot of Amtrak's Fullerton Station 70-100 trains a day there. Before that get off at Riverside Drive and visit Riverside Jct where the UP and BNSF join. Go to Downtown Pamona Station. Get off I10 and go to Valley BLVD and turn left onto Hamilton then right after crossing the SP and UP tracks and you will see the station around 80 trains there. Go to Cajon Pass from I10 you could go onto the 215 that goes to Devore and joins the 15 freeway there or you can take the 15 freeway through San Bernardino from I10. You can see the San Bernardino Station and Yard I think getting off the 15 at either 3rd or 5th street then go left. At the yard you will see a road bridge going over the BNSF yard turn left and go on that road because that road joins the BNSF main at Baseline and becomes Cajon BLVD just out of the yard and you can pace a train on Cajon BLVD to Devore then make a right onto the first big street from what I think is Glen Helen Parkway. From that Street turn left onto the 15 freeway and get off at the Kenwood Drive exit. At Kenwood make a right onto Cajon BLVD because it follows the tracks to the Crossovers at Cajon. From Cajon get back onto the 15 freeway and you will see a McDonalds at your right along with a road going to the right. That road takes you on top of the Deep cut and the Crossovers at Summit and goes to Hisperia and parallels the BNSF main. There is a security gaurd at the Summit crossovers. Go to Victorville and there is a road that parallels the BNSF main to Barstow which is US66 and you can follow a train to Barstow from Victorville and they travel at 70 MPH. There is a street that goes over the tracks at the Barstow station and Museaum 100 trains. From Barstow go to I40 and head east to Dagget where the UP diverges from the BNSF main 100 trains there. From Dagget head west on I40 and continue through Barstow go onto Hwy 58 which parallels BNSF's line to Mojave at 70MPH 30 trains there. At Mojave get off Hwy 58 and get onto a road that parallels UP's Tehachapi route then get back onto Hwy 58 and get off at Monolith and get onto Tehachapi BLVD which you can pace a 60MPH train from there to the town of Tehachapi. Stay on Tehachapi BLVD then get onto Hwy 58 and get off Hwy 58 at Keene and get onto Woodford Tehachapi Road and visit the Tehachapi Loop which you make a left turn on a dirt road after the tracks go straight into the Tunnel. From the Loop get back on Woodford Tehachapi Road and head back to Keen and get on Hwy 58 then get off at Bealville road and stay on that until Caliente Bodfish road where the tracks make a 10 degree U turn. Continue west by staying on the road but the road becomes Edison Hwy all the way to Bakersfield and you can pace trains on that road to. UP road Channels 161.550 DS48 San Timoteo Canyon to Montclair, 160.320 DS54 West Colton to Bakersfield, 160.740 DS50 Montclair ex SP to Pamona, Dagget, and 160.515 DS30 Riverside to Pamona UP main. BNSF Road Channels 160.650 DS 15 Riverside to Fullerton, 161.190 DS14 Riverside to Lenwood, 161.085 DS 113 Lenwood to Dagget, Barstow to Mojave,and 160.935 DS 12 Dagget. Metrolink road Channels are 160.560 Fullerton and 161.415 San Bernardino. BNSF PBX Channels are 160.260, 160.335,160.245, and 160.425. UP PBX Channels are 160.290,160.605, 160.890, and 160.950. Thank you for your post. Detector out

Date: 07/26/05 12:30
Re: Looking for Hotspots
Author: AC4400CWGEVO

Can you break your paragraphs?

Tssss...

My eyes out....

>Detector Wrote:

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0662 seconds