Author: AC4400CWGEVO

Having taking a look a the post below do you guys notice
that both locomotives have the reflective white stripe
instead the yellow one.

I bet you this special paints will be the only ones to
receive this kind of color.. everything else back
to yellow.

So it will be 4 locomotives or only these 2 for the
Saturday event? Any word about the other 2 #'s ?

Ac4400cwgevo
http://www.trainsondvd.biz

P.S. Waiting for Saturday's pics... =)

Date: 07/27/05 05:52
Re: The 2 SD70ACe's with white striping
Author: Red

I think yellow would be appropriate for the standard paint scheme, and bet my life that it stays that way.

As for the "Heritage Units", white, the other FRA legal color, looks more appropriate on, say, a Jenks Blue Missouri Pacific Unit. Same goes for a Western Pacific or SP unit. A CNW Heritage Unit would cry out for the standard yellow striping, however...don't yall think?

Date: 07/27/05 05:53
Author: toledopatch

My memory could be faulty on this, but I was under the impression that the FRA conspicuity regulations allow locomotives' reflective safety striping to be white or yellow.

Date: 07/27/05 05:57
Author: Platteville

Thats a good point...

All this talk about these two from the second they left horicon, what about the other two "special" units? Are they in Omaha already? On the way, tarped? Maybe Mid America in KC?

Date: 07/27/05 07:10
Author: csx5000

Im still sayin military units.
railfan1 out

Date: 07/27/05 07:24
Author: AC4400CWGEVO

Toledopatch:

Yes, you're right, the point here is that we already know
that UP choose the yellow stripe instead the white for
the new locomotives been delivery after the FRA regulation.

My coment was that for this special paint they use the
white stripe instead the yellow one. =)

Ac4400cwgevo

toledopatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My memory could be faulty on this, but I was under
> the impression that the FRA conspicuity
> regulations allow locomotives' reflective safety
> striping to be white or yellow.

Date: 07/27/05 07:31
Author: sp8192

I second the notion of military paint jobs on these two. The green one being ARMY and the Navy one being AIF FORCE or NAVY. Only time will tell....ooooohhh, the suspense is so thick!

Date: 07/27/05 07:39
Author: toledopatch

As far as UP's color selection, I would think they will apply whatever color best fits the paint scheme in question. For example, white would be the obvious choice for a "Missouri Pacific" engine, but I bet if they do an M-K-T, it gets yellow striping. For Western Pacific there's no clear favorite, as the WP's Perlman green scheme had no white or yellow in it, so in those cases I'd expect them to use white as being more neutral.

Count me among those who believe these special units will be in railroad schemes, not military. But I'd be mildly surprised if UP went to the trouble to have SP, D&RGW, or C&NW units painted up for this Heritage event, considering that it still has a few of those "unpatched" on its roster. Much more likely, in my mind, is that older constituents of the UP will be celebrated with these locomotives.

Date: 07/27/05 07:47
Author: fwwr5007

toledopatch Wrote:
> white would be
> the obvious choice for a "Missouri Pacific"
> engine, but I bet if they do an M-K-T, it gets
> yellow striping.

That's if they do green and yellow for the MKT unit. If they do the Barriger Red scheme as a Katy heritage unit, though, then they'd need a white frame stripe. The green and yellow is probably more recognizable though.

Or maybe they could do both schemes for the Katy? (I'd probably pass out cold if I saw them both running together on a pair of ACe's.)

Date: 07/27/05 07:57
Author: AmericanLines

Does this mean we'll see a Spokane International unit?? ;-))

Date: 07/27/05 08:03
Author: cota1992

As much as I would love to see fallen flag units, my bet is on the military theme for these times we live in. I'd love to see them either way, (And as much UP yellow we see in this neck of the woods I am sure they will be here sooner or later!)
Looking forward to saturday,
Art in DC

Date: 07/27/05 09:49
Author: espeeboy

Sorry, you guys are all wrong - no way are these military painted unit. Really, whatz the point to announcing an unveiling of something "heritage" this Saturday in Omaha if it deals with the military? Also, MORE THAN ONE SOURCE has confirmed that WSOR / UP actually requested paint chips from a few knowledgable historical sources for MoPac bleu, WP Green and MKT green.

Date: 07/27/05 10:03
Author: cota1992

I'm happy either way if it's fallen flags or "UP's heritage with the military"- everything armoured didn't get from coast to coast (at least on someone's RR) any other way from WWII until now (Not counting what is hauled for the other service branches)
To tell the truth I have had a really bad week (Out of the hospital yesterday) and this gives me something to look forward to this weekend.
Military units would be cool and I look forward to them..if everyone else is right, cool! I hope they make a CNW and a Rio Grande unit as well!
D
I don't see a downside and for today this hobby for me is what it is supposed to be..a fun distraction and I thank UP for the covers on these units!
Art in DC
P.S....I have not heard too much about UP contacting modeling clubs about weathering fade and grime on a new unit so I doubt the SP unit is in the works yet...

Date: 07/27/05 15:29
Author: bnsfjth

Some people just can't let the military rumor die... Amazing. After all the legit information posted here and elsewhere, some just refuse to let it out of their heads.

Date: 07/27/05 15:31
Author: KevinD

AmericanLines Wrote:
> Does this mean we'll see a Spokane International
> unit?? ;-))

Did the SI have a diesel scheme???? :)

Date: 07/27/05 15:38
Author: espeeboy

bnsfjth Wrote:
> Some people just can't let the military rumor
> die... Amazing. After all the legit information
> posted here and elsewhere, some just refuse to let
> it out of their heads.

LOL, well 50% of this country is of the red state war loving kind! Still, I'd love to eventually see military inspired schemes too, just not sure itz gonna happen in this 50/50 pro-war/against-war country of ours. They would make for big targets from radical political protest types...

Date: 07/27/05 15:44
Author: E-21

KevinD Wrote:
> AmericanLines Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Does this mean we'll see a Spokane
> International
> > unit?? ;-))
>
>
> Did the SI have a diesel scheme???? :)

Red and black with yellow lettering. It was on the Alco RS-1's if I recall correctly. Later, after the UP bought them - the Alcos were painted in standard UP colors with Spokane International spelled out on the long hood. Somewhere I have an under-exposed slide of a SI caboose in the same colors as the Alcos. That caboose was around Spokane for many years, maybe someone here might have a good photo of the scheme.

Date: 07/27/05 17:11
Author: Red

Since I'm a war-loving, former Army man from a red state, I'd love to see military units AND heritage units. Personally, I could care LESS if military units offended anybody or not. The only reason the protester types have the RIGHT to protest is because of the men and women of each branch of the armed services who have DIED in support of freedom.

Now...having that settled...I would prefer to see the heritage units first, and, do not understand why there is still any debate about military units. The press release would have said that the units would be celebrating "this country's heritage", not "our company's heritage", if they were military units.

Date: 07/27/05 17:27
Author: trails2rails

What makes you think that people opposed to the Bush family fisasco in Iraq would be opposed to honoring our military men and women? I am really, really sick of people who think that you have to support the war to support the troops.

I'm from a BLUE state and know two people who have served in Iraq and both have told me the place is a disaster, soon to be a civil war and the biggest mistake in US history.

So there!

;)

Date: 07/27/05 18:16
Author: Washita

since I am a peace loving civilian from a blue state, I'd love to see UP military and heritage SD70ACe locomotives. military locomotives don't offend me at all. using the military in a war that doesn't involve keeping the USA free, offends me. locomotives honoring our brave men and women in uniform is a very good thing.

here are a couple good links for other ways to really honor our country's armed service members:

http://www.homesforourtroops.org/

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Red Wrote:
> Since I'm a war-loving, former Army man from a red
> state, I'd love to see military units AND heritage
> units. Personally, I could care LESS if military
> units offended anybody or not. The only reason
> the protester types have the RIGHT to protest is
> because of the men and women of each branch of the
> armed services who have DIED in support of
> freedom.
>
> Now...having that settled...I would prefer to see
> the heritage units first, and, do not understand
> why there is still any debate about military
> units. The press release would have said that the
> units would be celebrating "this country's
> heritage", not "our company's heritage", if they
> were military units.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.08 seconds